Author Topic: Sterling  (Read 10299 times)

Offline charlste

Sterling
« on: February 06, 2018, 20:48:31 PM »
Just heard that the turkish banks might be stopping the withdrawel of sterling from the atm's.
Has anybody else heard this?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Sterling
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 23:14:29 PM »
Yep. I saw on Facebook, so it must be true !  :)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:28:51 AM »
HSBC branch in Fethiye have stopped offering sterling in their two ATMs
(Rather worryingly the message on screen says 'your bank will not authorise this transaction' !!!)
Somebody contacted HSBC Fethiye by phone and was told that all other banks will follow.
We shall see.

Offline yabanci

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 07:28:48 AM »
AK Bank in Fethiye is still dispensing sterling from its ATM this morning.

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 13:12:04 PM »
Any particular reason for this?

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 00:31:20 AM »
This could result in no exchange shops willing to change Sterling, which could be a problem for tourists who want to change their money when they arrive in resort.  I know some people will be happy to change Sterling if they’re going back to the U.K. but it’s strange move really.

Offline busybee

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 05:15:59 AM »
Copied and pasted.       Went to the HSBC atm outside their Fethiye branch and both machines were out of order . I spoke to a Manager inside the branch and he informed me that HSBC will no longer have sterling in their atm's as of today FOR GOOD! i.e. not a temporary thing but a permanent one. 

Also HSBC will not be represented in N. Cyprus anymore.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:24:02 AM »
I wouldn't use HSBC as an indicator here - this is the bank that even ING wouldn't buy a couple of years ago!  Since then they have restructured, cutting branches from 300 to 90 and openly admitted that they aren't that interested in the retail side (i.e. personal banking) unless you're in the higher income bracket, preferring to look to corporate and institutional customers. 

JF

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 10:56:23 AM »
We had our Sitesi account with HSBC in Fethiye, and had done for a number of years, but last year (or might have been end of 2016) they suddenly decided that they were not going to deal with "business" accounts any more.

The really bad thing about this was that they did not tell anyone - they just stopped paying direct debits and when they were asked why they had not paid our maintenance company they just said that they were not doing business accounts any longer.  That was the first we knew about it.

Luckily we had a good relationship with the maintenance company who confirmed that fact with HSBC and waited for us to make an alternative payment arrangement. 

That behaviour by a bank is utterly disgraceful and must break every banking code ever made.  They got what they wanted though as the account is now closed and opened with another bank.

Steer clear of HSBC in Fethiye!!!

Offline busybee

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 20:55:48 PM »
I gleaned more info today, 4 main banks still giving sterling. For how long, not sure.  Until it all settles down a bit the atm news which change on a hourly, daily basis lol.  Did that possibly you will not be able to use an English bank card to withdraw stirling, BUT if you have Turkish bank card you can.  I think its because they want you to use the bank service.  You cant use your card in the UK to withdraw Turkish.  Just another change in little bit of paradise!!! Along with the SGK debacle and now the private medical insurance saga.  At present the Letoon Hospital is gonna clean up!!!!  Esnaf Yok.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf