Author Topic: Gemeler beach restaurant  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Gemeler beach restaurant
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 22:09:11 PM »
I think, to give some amateur analysis, that 'businesses' like these play a percentage game.

Most people won't come back anyway, they only come over on holiday and probably won't be able to come back for at least a year - and even if that is true it does not follow that they would come back to their place.

Hit people hard, because it is probably the one and only time you will see them.

Idiot Brits who expect everything in Turkey to be cheaper don't even ask the price (me included, I've done it) and if there was no right price, there is no 'wrong' price.

Imagine if it happened 5 years ago. You got ripped off (for example) on Gemeler Beach. You wouldn't go back - who cares, they made 4x what they should have out of you anyway. That is better than you coming 4 times, and you probably wouldn't have.

You go back to your hotel, half those taken in wouldn't tell a soul because they were too embarrassed at what happened. The other half may be so angry that they told 10 other couples in the hotel bar. Half of them have never heard of Gemeler Beach, and will have forgotten it's very name within 10 minutes of hearing it, the rest weren't going there anyway.

Half of you would have told everyone who would listen, but it doesn't stop anyone going!

Now, it isn't five years ago and strangers don't just communicate in hotels and bars.

How many people will avoid Gemeler Beach JUST because of this thread?

The internet is great innit  :)

Offline bev

• Ilkeston, UK
Gemeler beach restaurant
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 06:33:58 AM »
We also got ripped off a couple of yrs ago a woman approached us as we were walking along the beach, very friendly spoke to us for about 5 Min's then said would you like something to eat or drink? Directed us to the little cafe on the right, we sat down and they lit a fire to cook on nobody else about. Chilled out until the bill came never again. Since then if no menu we have always checked the price.
Do not eat at Gemeler Beach take a picnic.

Norma

Offline seacat

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 12:56:13 PM »
Where exactly is Gemeler beach? sounds like one to avoid at all costs!!!!

Offline loulou

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 14:07:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by seacat

Where exactly is Gemeler beach? sounds like one to avoid at all costs!!!!

You need to drive through Kayakoy to get to it, and once in Kaya it is signposted down to the beach.  They charged my friend way too much money for what we had and hes Turkish, that was a couple of years ago now, but would never eat down there again.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Gemeler beach restaurant
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 17:37:40 PM »
 :) Aaah know where you mean now, got it sussed, thanks  ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Gemeler beach restaurant
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 08:46:21 AM »
This is copied from another forum

"Here is a statement from the Turkish Consulate....

the pricing should always be in ytl not sterling, it is illegal. and if you think you are being overcharged in sterling you must complain to the governers office of the area you are staying, so for this area it would be the govenor of mugla. also as for being overcharged for dolmus and taxi's the same applies.

also for anyone who has grievances about pricing etc, should write to the local mayor, the governor of mugla, and the national tourism governor."

HOWEVER !

The restaurant at Gemiler Beach is owned and run by the family of Kaya Koyu's Muhtar, so a complaint to him might not get the attention that it deserves.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:53:40 AM by KKOB »

Offline rowanis

Gemeler beach restaurant
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 15:54:50 PM »
I wouldn't avoid Gemiler altogether, its a lovely beach and the island accross from it has the ruins of a shipyard.  I agree with everyone about the rip off's in the restaurants and yes they should be avoided, yet why avoid a beautiful spot just because of one part of the experience?  Take a picnic or a bbq like the Turks do and a cool box for your drinks.  More people who do that, the more the establishments at the beach will realise their antics won't be put up with and maybe we may even see a change.  I for one love swimming at Gemiler, there is some interesting underwater wildlife to be seen snorkelling there and its never too crowded.

Offline suwater

Gemeler beach restaurant
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 13:09:52 PM »
we was also ripped off a few years we thought it was just us, there was four of us and our bill for chicken salad and chips was about £50, we questioned it and did not give them the full amount and a nice day spoit with bad feeling they sound as bad as the man who painted the wrong arrows from Kaya to olu deniz and then the people got lost and he then took them back in his boat and charged a fortune

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf