Author Topic: Beware of Chemically Treated Gemstones  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Beware of Chemically Treated Gemstones
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »
Just a word of warning about buying rings etc.,  A lot of gemstones are now chemically treated to enhance them.  It's getting to be a very common practice around the world.  In the U.S.A. It's now law that jewellery outlets must state if any gemstone has been  chemically treated.  So if anyone is buying a piece of jewellery just ask the Jeweller before you buy, and get a written receipt stating if the stones are untreated or treated.  A good web page for information on this is  http://www.kevincoffee.com/travel/purchasing_phony_gemstones.htm
However, this is not just a problem abroad one particular Website on British T.V. that only sells jewellery and has two channels sells very cheap gems, but if you go to their website they have a page that actually discloses that most of their gems are enhanced.
Jacqui.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 17:25:13 PM »
For sale

Chemically treated Brazilian Ruby.

One careful owner

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 17:53:40 PM »
Outside the Uk if the jeweler is going to con you about what the gem is then he sure as hell will con you with a bit of paper to say if it has been treated or not.:(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:37:48 AM »
Missing the point here tribalelder.  If go the the website and see the descriptions of gems and then what they really are you will know if the Jeweller describes the gem as say as Brazilian Ruby, it's a Tourmaline.  You will also see what gems are treated and which ones are not.  Also take a look at this page which is a real eye-opener if you are buying gems via the T.V. http://www.gemstv.co.uk/buyersGuide/gemCare.jsp  
Jacqui.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:59:59 AM »
see what you mean always was a bit wary when i watched these programmes on how much they dropped the price from the start price

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 12:15:15 PM »
No not missing the point .....If you get hassled into a shop and get told it is say a ruby most do not have the expertise to confirm this(Price may be an indication) so on the assumption you have been coned at that stage a genuine fake bit of paper is not going to be much help. :)

Offline Linda1953

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »
Some guy in a leather shop told me to beware of clothes being sold around and about in Fethiye and Calis because of the chemicals used in the dyes. I thought ahh you just want me to buy a leather coat but no he was referring to t shirts and other clothing.  Dont make leather TShirts do they?  

Yes I know this topic is about gemstones!

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 13:12:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

For sale

Chemically treated Brazilian Ruby.

One careful owner

:o:D  Not sure I fancy that second hand.  - Rock bottom price I hope  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf