Author Topic: Notes For New Members  (Read 42039 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Notes For New Members
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 13:33:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by christine jackson

Hello all

As a new member thought I had better read the rules!. Only recently come across the Forum.   I posted a repliyed before I told you about me...Oh dear!  My family have been visiting Calis for 12 years and love the place.  We have a Villa in Calis and hope to retire to Calis in next 2 years.   Lots of our friends have been introduced to Calis and come year after year.  

Will that do for now?

It would be if it was in the correct section ;) I'll copy and move it for you:D

Offline andyandy

Notes For New Members
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 21:49:37 PM »
I am sure there would have been  be a lot more online members willing to post on this forum it it were not for having to go through the ridiculous  embarrassment of the introduction procedure.Many only want to to ask a simple question but they have had  to go through all this induction before they can. If it now has changed that they dont it has not come to soon. It might be a good idea to let members of this forum to access "all" topcis as well instead of just certain ones unless they are "special" members. Whats the great secrets on these topcs that only certain privaledged members can veiw? I guess the answer is that probably that they own properties in Calis and the likes of others dont.
Secret society one assumes.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Notes For New Members
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 21:56:37 PM »
Really? I've always found that the introduction procedure was rather courteous. I certainly never thought of it as a "ridiculous embarrassment"!!!! People do ask questions without introducing themselves, it isn't a problem - we are just saying it would be nice if they did.

It might be a good idea to let members access all forums. But it isn't.

Sounds like you don't like it here, but thanks for your thoughts.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Notes For New Members
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 22:13:56 PM »
oh well there goes another one!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Notes For New Members
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 22:14:32 PM »
Another alias

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Notes For New Members
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 22:19:16 PM »
No -my name remains the same every time but my picture changes regularly:D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Notes For New Members
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 22:20:34 PM »
Grrrr

Anyway, it's a first, a first post about, erm, first posts :D

Offline andyandy

Notes For New Members
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 23:03:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Really? I've always found that the introduction procedure was rather courteous. I certainly never thought of it as a "ridiculous embarrassment"!!!! People do ask questions without introducing themselves, it isn't a problem - we are just saying it would be nice if they did.

It might be a good idea to let members access all forums. But it isn't.

Sounds like you don't like it here, but thanks for your thoughts.

Yes I do like it here. I think this forum is great. Not just because it is about Calis and it provides unlimited information about it and other nearby areas but also because you Scunner have turned this site into a community.By coming here you hear about Calis but more importantly too I believe most regular members this is their chat communication centre.I am not going to knock that as it all part of a forum that I have enjoyed myself. But only when it does'nt get too annoying to others as its their forum as well.My point about the introduction thing is that although you may think it is good manners. It is very embarrassing to some others. So therfore they do not post.I don't know anyother forum that you have to make an introduction speech to make a post just because the owner of the forum  thinks its a nice courteous  thing to do for him to make them acceptable in his eyes.I have as I said think this is a good thing if it has now been removed from the members joining rules. I am sure this forum will get more members because of this correct decision. This forum can only get better now.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Notes For New Members
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 23:05:31 PM »
its a shame about the poor membership though ( 4854) and the low number of posts (1247660- just think how many more if it wasnt for the ridulous embarrasment procedure for introductions- tut honestly whats that all about?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Notes For New Members
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 23:28:05 PM »
Excuse me Mrs C but the post count is more like 198,000; don't forget our 71,000 archived posts :D

I'm all for constructive criticism but this is lost on me. People want to ask the collective membership if the Seril is a good hotel, but they don't want to say hello? How does that work then? It is also a curious first post. Nothing like feeling too embarrassed to say hello but not too embarrassed to wade straight in with a whole "why this place is not run correctly" speil.

We add over a hundred members per month, post counts are up month on month and have been for years - and I don't see any resort specific forum in Turkey that comes close to that. The reason some forums are specific members only is quite obvious. People who own properties in certain complexes like to talk in private about issues that are private. Why anyone would like access to read about sewage backing up or windows leaking is beyond me. The "property owners club" accusation won't wash either - there are far more non-owners than owners on CBF.

Overall I can't see how CBF could have evolved better or quicker than it did. Maybe I am too attached/involved to be the best judge but to think we would be close to 5000 members in 4 years was ludicrous when we started. I'll settle for that.

The rules are there for good reasons. We don't actually enforce them strictly (try posting what you did on other forums andyandy and see how long they stay before they are deleted) - but if you want a forum with no rules I'll show you where they used to be. The rules may not suit everyone, but within the moderator team we all believe they are necessary and the correct ones.

As I have said many times before, you can't please all of the people all of the time, and if you really want to know how difficult it is, set up your own forum, let's see where you are in 4 years.

I don't wish to sound bitter, but I wouldn't walk unannounced into your living room and slag off your curtains, so why you think you can do the same here is puzzling to me. If people are "embarrassed" to introduce themselves (and I don't believe even 1 in 4,800 was, it's a public forum!) then we'll be accommodating. There are several posts where I have said just that.

I haven't seen a better forum on any subject on the net, and if that sounds conceited, tough. The people on this forum make it what it is, so I'm not blowing my own trumpet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf