Author Topic: Boat Owning in Turkey  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Cadbury

« on: February 23, 2009, 14:21:33 PM »
Please could someone tell me what the rules and regulations are in regards of owning a UK registered boat in Turkey and also whether one needs to have any competency certificates to use the boat in Turkish waters.

Thank you

Offline garryandmargaret

Re: Boat Owning in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 14:50:31 PM »
Owning a boat in Fethiye is a big problem I own a boat jointly with a friend we bought new in 2013. I have a international certificate of competence which allows me to skipper a boat up to 10 mtrs (power) in international waters however Fethiye coast guard disagree and fined us 2500 tl they do not recognise my ICC certificate, its not a Turkish qualification and as the boat was bought and registered in turkey the skipper needs to be Turkish qualified. if I was a visitor into Tukish waters on a English boat my English qualification would be ok, so as it stands we own a boat but cant use it with a UK international qualification. Looks like I will be seeking legal advise before next season. The shop where we bought the boat obviously knew, the reason for my statement is to let people know buyer beware 

Offline kaptainkrunchie

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 15:43:35 PM »
Garryandmargaret. Please get in touch with the legal department of the RYA and I'm sure they will assist.
The ICC, which is a qualification introduced by the UN, is the nearest thing there is to an international boat "driving license".
As an ICC examiner, I am frequently asked to conduct ICC examinations in Gocek and Fethiye usually after the Coastguard has required that the skipper to obtain a licence.
I also get stopped frequently by the coastguard as I work as a professional skipper in the area. The ICC has always been accepted.
Can I ask if the boat is on a British or a Turkish flag?

Offline IanK

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 18:21:38 PM »
Garryandmargaret,

I have used my ICC to charter yachts (Turkish or foreign flagged) out of Gocek many times - the charter companies have never needed any other certification from me.

Ian

Offline garryandmargaret

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 18:47:47 PM »
hi
the boat was purchased in Calis from the new boat shop on main road leading to Dalaman just outside Calis the big blue building. We bought the boat and it was registered in the salesmans name as he said we could not register it in our names. we were stopped while in Turks name and fined. we then re registered the boat in our name once this was done we were told icc not aceptable. we have two flags turkish and uk ensign as the boat is registered in turkey. advise greatly appreciated

Offline kaptainkrunchie

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 21:26:32 PM »
Gerryandmargaret. It is technically illegal to have a boat registered in 2 countries. Did you register it with the Small Ships Register in the UK? If not I suspect you are a Turkish registered vessel and therefore subject to the laws of Turkey. If they don't accept ICC for their flagged vessels that is up to them, as they have not signed up to UNECE ITC Resolution 40. For foreign flagged vessels they have always accepted an ICC as proof of competence.
The only suggestion I can make is that you deregister from the Turkish registry and register on the UK SSR scheme. This is administered by same people who do car tax in Swansea. From memory it's about £25 but you do need a valid UK address and can all be done on the internet.
Not sure how difficult it is to take the boat off the Turkish register - we took some of ours off some years ago but can't recall how it was done - I can check this out with my boss.
Perhaps, if you need further help, you could send me a PM so we can talk face to face.

Offline Lorraine

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 05:58:25 AM »
Portway in gocek have an excellent reputation for providing a range of sailing courses, they have English speaking instructors who I have seen in action and would highly recommend.
Whilst the sea and coastline here is stunning and dramatic, a truely wonderful place. The weather however, can be extreme, and certainly no place to be without appropriate skill and knowledge. Enjoy your time afloat, but please take precautions to ensure the safety of yourself and others.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 06:29:33 AM »
It's the certification problems under discussion here. I'm sure the safety aspects are a given.

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 08:13:17 AM »
Portway in gocek have an excellent reputation for providing a range of sailing courses, they have English speaking instructors who I have seen in action and would highly recommend.
Whilst the sea and coastline here is stunning and dramatic, a truely wonderful place. The weather however, can be extreme, and certainly no place to be without appropriate skill and knowledge. Enjoy your time afloat, but please take precautions to ensure the safety of yourself and others.
And this has what relevance to the problem being discussed?

Offline garryandmargaret

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
for clarification the boat was new and purchased in turkey registered in turkey owned by 2 Englishman whos details are on the registration document. and are qualified and trained in uk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf