Author Topic: Crime in Ovacik  (Read 8818 times)

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Crime in Ovacik
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 22:36:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Daffodil

we have one fitted which flashes and gives off one hell of a noise if set off.  :) :)

It wouldn`t be any good if it didn`t make a noise  :D

Offline ovacik2

Crime in Ovacik
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 07:06:10 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by nigelthebuilder

HI WE EVERY BODY WE HAVE AN APPARTMENT IN OVACIK WE HAVE HAD IT FOR 5 YEARS AND  WE ARE THINKING OF MOVEING OVER THERE TO LIVE BUT THE CRIME IN OVACIK SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE I ALSO HAVE 2 DOGS AND IM WORRIED FOR THEM,ARE THE POLICE DOING MORE PATROLS?THANK-NIGEL NIKKI

Hi! Nigel,
We only hear mostly about the down sides on forums. The crime rate in Turkey as a whole for all types of crime is cause for concern. The crimes around Fethiye areas are on the whole minor.

We have been in Ovacik for the past seven/eight years. We have felt totaly safe. We have had one break in 4 years ago. Our security is now up to the same standard as we use in the UK. All the common sense things. If someone realy wants to be into your property here or in the UK they can do it whatever.

Not to bury our heads in the sand,this week on the same night three villas close to our home were broken into. Windows without locks in all cases. It would appear from what was taken they might have beeen opportunist yobs. Credit cards passports cameras phones left in the unwanted pile. laptop cash kids comp games taken.

We feel that the employment situation around the world is also seeing the petty crime rate increases and Ovacik is no exception. Holiday homes ARE a target around the world.

We are very happy to live in Ovacik 1/2 1/2 and look forward to many more years here. The plusses are fantastic.

What is anoying is the amount of so called guard dogs barking at everything and anything all day and night. Pretty anoying to everyone. Trained guard dogs make noises at all the right things at the right time. Burglers know this too.

We hope you make the move, secure your home and have a great life out here

A & P

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Crime in Ovacik
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 07:47:35 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Daffodil

The police barracks are in a smart building just as you enter Ovacik and the patrols go out a lot.

The building you refer to is a hotel for the extra police officers drafted into Fethiye, and their families, and is used mainly during the summer season.

The Polis have no jurisdiction in the area. The entire Oludeniz Belediye area and the Kaya Valley comes under the jurisdiction of the Jandarma who are based at the barracks on Oludeniz seafront near the dolmus terminus.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Crime in Ovacik
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 09:39:52 AM »
I suppose it's 'Welcome to the Real World'.

I don't mean that in any way other than this is what you have to expect now wherever you live. Years ago I remember seeing lovely little houses in Spain and Portugal secured by window bars. Now they are prevalent in Turkey as well. 6 years ago it was much different but as more and more affluence goes on show the lazy sods of this world realise they can get something for nothing and take the easy pickings - mostly holiday homes that are occupied - as they have the goodies in abundance.

I get funny looks for making sure our place is secure when we even pop out for a few minutes. I also get worried when our shutters are left open - even though our house is on a site with some security.

If you haven't got one I suggest a safe - you can get a small one fitted fairly cheaply and can leave passports and cash in there knowing they are well protected. Ours is in a bedroom and is bolted to the floor.

Next time we go out I think I will take a plug in alarm I had in my garage at home. It's one the York Police gave me years ago and makes a hell of a racket. I'll just have to make sure the remote is left where anyone going downstairs can find it  :)

Offline Old Daffodil

Crime in Ovacik
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »
We changed all the locks on our doors when we moved here permanently to be sure that we had all the keys. Our Turkish friends advised us to do this.Also the windows have clips to prevent them being levered out.

I think one of the biggest give aways that the house is empty is to leave it in darkness with the outside lights on. A small light left on here and there inside the house is a better idea maybe? i doubt that any house can be a hundred per cent burglar proof.  

A company in Fethiye fit a light sensitive alarm which our dog set off once and the noise can be heard all over the area. Their number is 0252 613 6556.If the beam is broken it triggers the alarm.  :)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Crime in Ovacik
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
I would like to buy some UPVC window locks when over next week.
Here they are about £5 - £6 each.
Where can I buy them in Fethiye and what should I expect to pay for them please.
Paul

Offline ovacik2

Crime in Ovacik
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 16:50:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by bewva

I would like to buy some UPVC window locks when over next week.
Here they are about £5 - £6 each.
Where can I buy them in Fethiye and what should I expect to pay for them please.
Paul

Hi!

The keyless widow locks are available from Goksular or better known as B & Q Fethiye. 10 to 12TL depending who serves you. those type work well

Alan

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Crime in Ovacik
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 19:29:12 PM »
Thanks Alan

Offline davidzz

Crime in Ovacik
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 00:27:47 AM »
Just got back from Ovacik, been there for past 2 weeks and whilst there we still felt as safe as we always have able to walk down roads late at night with no fear, slept in our beds with no worry and happy to leave the villa unattended at night. I am sure this applies to the majority of visitors to the area. It is important that people do let people  know off their break-ins so that others can review their own safety, security and if need be make suggestions and improvements. Whilst I do sympathise with those that have had break ins it should noted be those reading about this that the posts are from individual experiences and does not reflect the true level of crime in the area.

David

Offline tetmeister

Crime in Ovacik
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 20:09:22 PM »
I think alot of people are kidding themselves if they think th ecrime rate here is nothing to worry about.I've lived in the same house in england for 25 years with not so much as a sniff as a break in etc.The last two years here in a holiday resort has got steadily worse.We've had an attempted at ours in feb,and at least 10 actuals in a 1000 mtr circumference.They are targetting holiday maker areas,they are taking advantage of crap windows and loose pin hinge doors etc installed by builders with no concept of security.Wise up,secure your property more than you would in UK,alarm up,arm urself,and be ready to twat anyone coming into ur bedroom.Some broken legs and a foto on the front of the land of lights may send a message........................

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf