Author Topic: ATM Scams - Thefts  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
ATM Scams - Thefts
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 13:31:57 PM »
So there is this thief standing behind a guy who is about to draw out a wad of cash. The bloke puts his card in the machine and the machine swallows the card, he taps in pin and the amount of cash required and the machine dispenses, only after the money has been removed does the machine spit the card back out.

So this thief decides not to grab the readies but to tell the bloke that the machine is not working after he has withdrawn his cash ?

I wouldn't worry too much about this pair, I don't think their Scam will work too often, and Dymond, I'm really not trying to have a 'go' at you, I am sure you were told the story in good faith, it just feels wrong on so many levels don't you think?

Offline grahamturner09

ATM Scams - Thefts
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 17:47:41 PM »
You cant get the pin number from a card reader the pin is not in the data on the card the only way to get it is if they see you put it in to the machine or you wright it down somewhere.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
ATM Scams - Thefts
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 18:01:48 PM »
Hmmmm, the plot thins

Offline Phil

ATM Scams - Thefts
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 18:03:59 PM »
In a similar vein......

Have you heard that burglars are pumping sleeping gas into people's bedrooms via the air con and then breaking in ..........

Well that's what I overheard some one say they had been told by their next door neigbour's friend's brother's boss's daughter's mate.....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 18:04:34 PM by Phil »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
ATM Scams - Thefts
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 18:07:13 PM »
I've heard that so many times. I can't see how it works though, surely aircon works completely the opposite way?

It happened to my auntie's brother's neighbour's workmate's chinchilla.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
ATM Scams - Thefts
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 18:09:11 PM »
Get a Davey lamp and a canary, that will fool em.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
ATM Scams - Thefts
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 18:33:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

In a similar vein......

Have you heard that burglars are pumping sleeping gas into people's bedrooms via the air con and then breaking in ..........

Well that's what I overheard some one say they had been told by their next door neigbour's friend's brother's boss's daughter's mate.....

They were doing that in Spain a few years back but through open windows.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
ATM Scams - Thefts
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 18:36:43 PM »
That might work

Offline bikerchickblonde

ATM Scams - Thefts
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 18:47:52 PM »
My daughter was visiting me in June and has a few weeks ago when checking her statement found withdrawals made from her account.  

Her bank asked if she had been abroad recently and told her she had had her identity stolen.  The bank said a copy of her card had been made and they wanted her not to cancel it so they could trace the user.  After three withdrawals (of between £40 and £80) she asked the bank to stop the card as the bank takes weeks to refund money and she could not afford to do this.  Apparently her bank says the people that copy the cards making small withdrawals to test whether there is money in the account, then later sometimes buy a car on 0% interest in the first year, and then after a year the credit company will start taking large monthly payments out the account - the car meanwhile has probably been exported.   My daughter said the atm machine she usually uses is one in Hisaronu near Azda but cant remember which bank.   Just a word of warning!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
ATM Scams - Thefts
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 18:57:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

That might work

It did and people were sleeping with them open due to feeling 'safe' because they had bars fitted.

Beware :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf