Author Topic: Cash Machine Con  (Read 13736 times)

Offline haino

• Calis Reject
Cash Machine Con
« on: April 04, 2010, 19:49:09 PM »
A friend of ours was the subject of a con at the Cash Machine near Calis Taxi rank on Thursday evening.
He had gone to withdraw money and put his card into the slot but nothing happened and the card could not be withdrawn. Whilst trying to get his card back 2 men approached and said something along the lines of "Oh has it swallowed your card, you need to go report it" Our friend returned to his apartment and with the help of a Turkish friend reported the problem to his bank. He did not report the problem for around 2 hours. On Friday his son took a call from his bank in the UK. It would appear that the 2 men at the cash machine had retrieved the card and gone on a "spending spree". On Friday he was told that the amount taken from the card was in excess of £4000. Not sure how it was done but assume they fit something to the cash machine slot to prevent the card coming out and then remove it when the customer has left.

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
Cash Machine Con
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 20:03:25 PM »
Sounds like an old ATM con trick.:(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_loop

Offline Jenny1

Cash Machine Con
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 20:39:50 PM »
That's horrible, thanks for letting us know [:(!]

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Cash Machine Con
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 22:18:15 PM »
On Thursday evening my husband had trouble using all 3 machines in Calis.  He had trouble getting his card into them.....

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Cash Machine Con
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 22:35:38 PM »
One thing seems constant in all these reports - if a bit of a problem at an ATM (home or abroad) is swiftly followed by the quick arrival of concerned strangers, get your card in your pocket if you still have it and on the phone to your bank - there and then if you can. If it costs you a tenner to phone the UK on your mobile it's a well spent tenner. Have your bank telephone number including +44 on your mobile just in case.

Offline jantaylor

Cash Machine Con
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 22:41:45 PM »
Exactly the same thing happened at that machine to someone staying in our apartments in the summer. He reported it as soon as he got back and his bank telephoned later that day to say that money had been withdrawn/ goods purchased with the card from a range of locations in Turkey within 30 minutes of his losing it. Obviously he was covered because he reported it quickly, but he had to borrow money from his daughter for the rest of the holiday.

Offline cheers

Cash Machine Con
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 23:47:27 PM »
It can happen anywhere!!
I went to my bank before I came to Calis last October and found I was missing money.  Got a statement and found that money had been spent on Virgin Media and BT mobile.  Contacted TSB, got through to the fraud squad, they took all the details, refunded my money and not heard anything since!!
There are enough WARNINGS on CBF if people are prepared to read, listen etc.
Also know at least 2 people who done it deliberately with travellers cheques!!

Offline peecee

Cash Machine Con
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 05:11:17 AM »
Has anyone reported these thefts to the Polis?  Could the Polis set up a 'watch' on the machines in question?

Offline hubblebubble

Cash Machine Con
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:30 AM »
Excellent advice Keith - how many folk actually have their Banks phone number immediately to hand when they are out.
Having been with friends in this situation last year I can only say DO IT!!
This is clearly organised crime as large amounts disappear rapidly and is a timely reminder to everyone that being on holiday doesnt mean you should not be careful.
In the UK the problem is far greater than the Banks let on - I dont think I knew anyone whose account hadnt been dipped and some several times.
Rotten luck for your friends Haino and thanks for the warning.

Offline crookes875

Cash Machine Con
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »
bads news does any one have any info of if it going on in Fethiye can you get money with your card inside a bank either at counter or from machines inside?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf