Author Topic: Buying a Villa in Calis  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Mark Cameron

Buying a Villa in Calis
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:52:35 AM »
Hi All,

This is my first time in the forum but I'm delighted that there is one on Cails as this is a hot topic for us at the moment.

We have just returned from a great 2 week stay in Calis (stayed in Forrest Villa near he old people's home) and spent some time looking at places to buy. We looked at quite a few and managed to whittle it down to 2. 1 of which is in Koca Calis which we really liked but two things really concerned us

1. the location seemed to be a little remote and the beach was really dirty with dog mess-Lots of beach type bars but not sure if they are any good

2. I have heard that this area gets flooded in the winter and can cause damage to buildings from water and damp- This particular property is se back (600m) from the beach so i am told it wont be an issue

Does anyone have any more information on this area?

many Thanks
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:53:28 AM by Mark Cameron »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Buying a Villa in Calis
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:10:29 AM »
1. What was it about Koca Calis that got it onto your list? Your opinion on it doesn't seem to read like somewhere you would want to buy!

2. Some areas of Koca Calis suffer very badly from flooding. Distance from the beach isn't specifically a factor in that.

Offline Mark Cameron

Buying a Villa in Calis
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:16:48 AM »
Thanks for coming back to me Scunner.

It was the Villa that blew us away.. The area was a little more remote that we would of liked but then we heard about the flooding issues so we were a little concerned. I suppose i really need to find out whether or not this particular villa  has issues with water

Mark

Offline Firo

Buying a Villa in Calis
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
Bet the agent selling it told you it wouldn't be an issue?
It is built on reclaimed marsh land so therefore is probably at sea level already. Add lots of winter rain and then your problems could start.
The beach there is the best as far as we are concerned and you get free use of the sun beds and umbrellas if you buy your drinks in the relevant bar. Always a cooling breeze off shore for pleasant sunbathing. The remoteness...another plus as it's away from the hoards.
I'm sure some of the members who own there will give you more advice on the flooding issue in this area.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Buying a Villa in Calis
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:23:21 AM »
Yes that is normally the thing to do. I'd say be careful though - buying the right villa in the wrong area (as in an area you don't particularly like, and you particularly don't like the area :D ) is the wrong way to do things. By the way, if the villa is on elevated land it should be ok. The elevated areas are on the other side of the main Dalaman road. Not all areas of Koca Calis flood but some do, dramatically in some cases. One problem is that it isn't a constant map of flooding/not flooding - I have seen established villas that don't flood have a new complex built adjacent and in protecting these new buildings from flooding, send the water directly into the original villa's land.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Buying a Villa in Calis
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:24:14 AM »
Where exactly is the villa? As Scunner says some parts do suffer from flooding and the distance from the sea has little bearing on that.

We have a house in Koca. I will PM you for more detail if you want.

Offline Mark Cameron

Buying a Villa in Calis
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:25:18 AM »
Thanks Firo

If anyone lives in this area, your comments would be much appreciated

Thanks

Offline Mark Cameron

Buying a Villa in Calis
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:37:50 AM »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Buying a Villa in Calis
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »
Yep, I'd call that rural.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Buying a Villa in Calis
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 11:24:33 AM »
I remember seeing those in June when we walked up for the dolmus. I don't think it floods too much up that end but remember there is a stream running down the side of Kenan Evrin which flows quite rapidly in the winter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf