Author Topic: How Did You Discover Calis?  (Read 12066 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
How Did You Discover Calis?
« on: September 22, 2010, 18:29:02 PM »
Long term members will perhaps remember that this was already a topic but it is now archived (2006) and is a very interesting one for all, including hopefully all the members who joined in the 4 years since.

There was a time I had never heard of Calis. You won't find it in any atlas. I had at the same time never heard of Fethiye. I had no idea even how to pronounce it. Fee-thy perhaps. At the time I first heard of Calis and Fethiye there was only one resort in the whole of Turkey I knew of - Marmaris  8)

So

How did you discover Calis :D

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 18:50:08 PM »
We were staying in a hotel in Hisaronu and got friendly with the staff.  We had been on a day out and I was shattered so we ordered Turkish coffee  .
Ping ...wide awake.
We ended up sitting round a fire chatting to the staff and folk who were leaving in the middle of the night.  We got friendly with the security guy that night.
Our next visit to Hissy he invited us to his house for a meal which we took to be quite an honour.  We had no Turkish he had very little english but we did have a phrase book.  We were looking at their pictures and saw pics of a beach and were informed it was Calis.

Not sure if it was that holiday or a different one but we headed to Fethiye one day and as we got off the dolmus the Calis dolmus guy shouted and I caught the name it rang a bell so we hopped on that one and went for a look.
So how did we find Calis?
A series of coincidences I suppose.

Offline posleeds

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 18:53:50 PM »
In a First Choice holiday brochure!
First time here was last summer....loved it so much, kept coming back, bought an apartment & now living out here.
HAPPY or what!!!

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 18:58:41 PM »
We went to an travel agent about 16 years ago and asked for a cheap holiday just somewhere in the sun for a week, she looked through and said the best we have is hotel Tolay Hisaronu £129 each, we both said no way are we going to Turkey. It turned out the only one we could afford. The year after we went back with 30 family and friends, my sons friend met a Turkish man she was 16, came back a few times and married him, we kept in touch and they came to our house in 2003, at the time they were both working for Hannel homes. When I said we were interested in buying a property what could I get for my money her advice was " don't buy off us to expensive and small, don't buy in Hisaronu prices have gone through the roof. Go to Calis and look round there are some great properties at good prices" We found Cenk at Interturk and the rest is history.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 19:05:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by karaokemark

When I said we were interested in buying a property what could I get for my money her advice was " don't buy off us to expensive and small

Seems like nothing changes with Hanel then Mark :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 19:11:01 PM »
We went on a cruise around the Greek Islands and Turkey, we visited only two places in Turkey Antalya and Kusadasi.   We decided that our next holiday would be in Turkey and probably Kusadasi.   We looked at Tripadvisor and I saw Lykia World and tried to book, but it was full for the time we wanted so our second choice was Letoonia.  We came over for one week and in that week bought our Villa.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 19:21:04 PM »
In a Travel Agents Holiday Brochure - can't remember which one. First stayed at Buse.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 19:31:03 PM »
Completely the wrong way....

We were looking for a place to buy overseas, gave up on Spain due to cost but found this forum and estate agents sites. Jumped on plane to turkey for first time ever. Looked at places with two agents (Interturks and another that shall remain nameless) and left a few days later having paid a deposit.

In hindsight we were very lucky to have picked reputable agents but to be fair we took a steer from people on this site

Steve

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 19:31:17 PM »
Went house hunting with my mate Jim. Calis was recommended to us by one of his Turkish workmates. The girls let us off the leash for a long weekend and we managed to find not only a house but Guven as well!!. That was seven years ago.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 19:33:35 PM by stoop »

Offline raygans

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 19:54:08 PM »
We stayed in a freinds villa in Calis this year,was our first visit to Turkey and definatley not the last,we"ve booked to go again next year.Was very impressed with the whole area.Took the water taxi to Fethiye which was a treat in itself as the weather was HOT HOT HOT.Met some lovely people both English and Turkish,on our arrival at 22.30 and a sweltering 28 degrees our turkish neighbours came over to say hello bringing with them a huge dish of water melon (wouldnt happen in the uk)
Saw spectacular sunsets at Guvens Bar/Resturant and shopped at the market till we dropped.
Everyone we met were so kind and helpful and nothing was too much trouble,even when we got on the wrong dolmus the driver made a slight detour and didnt even charge us.
Roll on next august.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf