Author Topic: The real deal  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
The real deal
« on: December 19, 2010, 16:37:47 PM »

As I wandered aimlessly around Tesco whilst the present Mrs H carried out what I believe is called "the Christmas shop" I became intrigued by some of the offers on display.

For example a large box of biscuits by the front door had a price of £ 10.00 crossed out and a new price of £ 4.99 posted.

Given that Brenda had only just started shopping, I reckoned I had at least two and a half hours to look into this further.

In very small print on the label it stated "Crossed out price charged at most Tesco stores in GB".

Does that not mean that Tesco are not giving the majority of their customers the benefit of their offers.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
The real deal
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 18:54:31 PM »
There was an article in the papers last week giving pricing for basic food items sold in Asda/Tesco/Morrisons etc., all around the U.K. they varied quite a lot.  So the supermarkets can and do price differently for different towns.
I would not buy diesel in the Tesco in Ellon which is ten miles away, because six miles in the opposite direction to me I have Morrisons and Asda who keep there prices the same and are much cheaper than Tesco, There is not another supermarket in Ellon that sells petrol or diesel so Tesco up their price.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
The real deal
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 19:04:20 PM »
Yes JH re the different price in different towns but the point I was making was that the small print says most stores.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
The real deal
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 19:09:36 PM »
One brand ie, tesco ,Boots, WH Smith etc does not mean one price, you only have to look at the airports and hospitals,shysters,

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
The real deal
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 19:35:11 PM »
Agreed laffa WH Smith at Glasgow Airport are a disgrace:(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The real deal
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 20:14:31 PM »
I was very surprised to see that Tesco charge completely different prices for many things in their large out of town stores, compared with their Tesco metro city centre shops. Some items are up to 50% more in the Metro shops. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that sort of difference at airports and the like but I never even thought that any prices would be different based on their location in town.

Offline katy11

The real deal
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
We have two Tescos downhere in Devon within 8 miles of each other
and petrol prices at them can vary has much 5pence a litre,so I think that each of these stores can charge what they think they can get away with. Even tins of chocolates are dearer at one than the other

Offline Sandrats

• Askam-in Furness, UK
The real deal
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 14:00:35 PM »
I understand that if any item is in a "Sale" then it has to have been offered at the higher price for a minimum of 28? days previous.  So the big stores then put an item for sale at an inflated price for 28 days in some stores, then as if by magic reduce it to the 'sale' price.

OR

a box of biscuits that would normally retail at £4.99 is sold at £10 at several stores, if anyone buys one then more fool them, then 28 days (or howeverlong later) the sale price is £4.99, and the punters flock to buy the bargain!  

Remember it is very rare to find real cheap sale items, Tesco, and all the rest, simply make mugs out of us.

My general rule is that if I wasnt going to buy it anyway, then I dont.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf