Author Topic: Don't you just love it here???  (Read 2548 times)

Offline ovacik2

Don't you just love it here???
« on: June 20, 2011, 14:34:53 PM »
Its not a gardening subject its about two wonderful people. We will always remember 18th June 2011 as ‘Big Smile Day'  First is Mehmet our NGPS pool tec' He asked why we were not eating the fruits from our Prunus tree, because they are poisonous and only the Jays and other birds eat them. we replied. For the last six years we have watched the jays & co eat them, the two Decorative Prunus have been laden with fruit over this time planted ten years ago. Mehmet then came with a handful of the Prunus fruit eating them as he asked if we would try, if he can eat them so can we. My wife checked with Google and yes they are edible and they taste wonderful. They make great jam or so they say!! Lots of info on Google and very interesting..Please check your tree facts before eating yours. Sure all the green fingers will know these facts already or not??

Next is Ekrem long time friend and helper. After a post we made for bark chips on this Forum we also discussed it with Ekrem in our Turk/Anglo way we always understand each other. No more was mentioned until Saturday evening the 18th June 2011, ‘Big Smile Day' Ekrem called and just said Agac Kabugu ,tree bark, and lead us to his car with trailer laden with bags of Bark. Think the largest ‘chip' is about 2 foot square.  With the help of a large hammer the pieces chip up quite easily and are a fantastic mix of colours. We did think of the chipper way but they do bash down with the hammer very well.
Just two of the many helpful people, makes you smile don't you just love it here.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 14:45:30 PM by ovacik2 »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 15:33:22 PM »
oh my goodness !!   our prunus tree has been laden this year and we have sat watching the birds having a feast !   Deep red juicy cherry looking fruit.    I'll have to go and investigate now - if the little wotsits have left us any !!!  thank you !!

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 21:53:16 PM »
they look like baby plums
what do they taste like?

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:15:33 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by puma

they look like baby plums
what do they taste like?

When they are not quite ripe they are not very nice but when ripe they are very tasty. They taste like a mix of cherry and plums..... Almonds peaches apricots and more are of the same prunus family.. We eat them raw and they are fab stewed abd served with some Suzme yoghurt.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf