Author Topic: The Tube  (Read 751 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
The Tube
« on: March 19, 2012, 22:14:38 PM »
Just finished watching my weekly fix of The Tube, no not the old Jools holland show.  It's a series of programmes about London Underground currently showing on the BBC on a Monday night.

As a regular user of the Tube I have enjoyed enormously watching what goes on to get me as a typical passenger from Victoria to Kilburn Park, or wherever.  All forms of human life is there, the different workers, the passengers, the marvelous people and the toe rags, the best and worst of engineering, great buildings, all set against the London backdrop.  It also shows what is becoming increasingly rarer these days, that is working for a large organisation, providing a public service that is complex, diverse, built and delivered on the old and the new, but a service that is essential for a modern city as great as London.

I take my hat off to a great service, and also a fantastic programme.[^][^]

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The Tube
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 22:30:26 PM »
Yes I am a big fan too - I was lucky enough to see plenty of the behind the scenes parts of the great underground network when I had a real job  ;) So many old spiral staircases, clanky old lifts etc - you would imagine they remove them when they upgrade the station but often they are still in use by staff and for access behind the platforms etc - and unused platforms, the same as the day they closed the gate for the final time - somehow preserved perfectly. And I bet there's many times more than the little I got to see. It's like London as it was, all mothballed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf