Author Topic: New Ford KA info - WARNING!  (Read 744 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
New Ford KA info - WARNING!
« on: January 09, 2013, 14:35:51 PM »
Just a warning to anyone who owns or is going to buy the new version of the KA.

This morning it was pretty icy down our way. I went out to warm Maggie's KA up and put on the heated screen, left it until it cleared and then tried to clear the resulting water with the wipers. BANG! The nearside wiper worked OK but the driver's side did nothing. I checked and the linkage has broken.

Being a total tight git I checked on google and found that others have had the same problem. Evidently the wiper linkage has plastic connections instead of metal ones and as these are moulded onto the wiper linkage they can freeze and just snap when you operate the wipers in freezing conditions. Because they are moulded on it means a complete new wiper motor!

Anyway - I phoned the garage we bought the car off in November and they say it isn't covered under the 2nd or 3rd year warranty, only the first year as it's the wipers. Not happy with this I phoned our local Ford dealership and they said it is covered and booked me in for tomorrow.

I then decided to have a go at the Sales Manager at Lookers in Sheffield (where we got the car from) and he insisted it wasn't covered but that they woulkd fix it and give me a car for a couple of days whilst it was in dock. He recommended I cancel my booking with Lawton's of Tadcaster as they might end up charging me and they wouldn't refund the cost from Sheffield.

So..... I rang to cancel and was told by the service manager that he had checked with his warranty manager and it was covered (even though it's plastic) as it's classed as a moving part (plastic parts are normally only covered for the first year). No courtesy car but only a two hour job and they will drop me off and pick me up.

So - if you have one or are going to buy one remember - if it's frozen make sure your wipers are switched off before you start the car. Make sure you squirt a little de-icer at the base of the wiper arms and leave it unitl the screen has de-frosted. Then pray!

It might just save you £250 and a lot of hassle.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf