Author Topic: I had to share it  (Read 4882 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: I had to share it
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »
Definitely not.
The issue I have is not with immigrants it is with the people who get too much in benefits.
My sister is a single parent and has been for 15 years.
She lives in a welsh town where jobs are fairly hard to come by. She has never been on the dole, she works as many hous a week she can in a local hotel. She pays her mortgage and keeps a car on the road. If her TV blew up she would have to loan a couple of hundred quid to buy a modest new tv. She would be by far better off jacking in work and going on benefits but she wont because she sees it as her problem to provide a roof over their heads and not the governments.
People should cut their cloth accordingly if they dont work they should be given basic living allowances which does not include 20 fags a day, Sky tv and a 50" telly.
Rant over

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »

Since we have been using the term "Benefits Claimants" rather loosely I thought it would be helpful to list the kinds of benefits available and who gets them. This comes from an Institute of Fiscal Studies briefing paper (Browne,J. & Hood, A., November 2012). It you want to read the paper in all its lavish detail it can be found here. http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn13.pdf
My apologies for poor presentation of the pie chart - I had difficulty lifting it out of the pdf.

It is not all that easy to find how many in each category are out of work. Obviously the vast majority of state pensioners are unemployed but they are not usually counted as being out of work. Family benefits are available to both in work and out of work without difference so I would guess that they have more or less the same proportion of employed/unemployed in society. I further guess that quite a lot of sick and disabled people will be out of work but, again, these are usually treated as a separate category.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 13:45:07 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 13:09:21 PM »
The link must be on a three day week    :)

Senior moment - sorry.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 13:46:34 PM »
My fault H. I didn't enter it using the Insert Hyperlink button. Corrected now (I hope).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf