Author Topic: Independance for Scotland?  (Read 10593 times)

Offline savoyboy

• Chiswick, London, UK
Re: Independance for Scotland?
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 15:52:49 PM »
As the song says 'You can go your own way'
   Be careful what you wish for,you just might get it.
The is greener on the other side,it just takes longer to
Go brown.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2013, 16:00:53 PM »
Have to agree with you Dycedon the oil money doesn't benefit us at all, just makes everything more expensive here. It all goes down to England.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 20:00:05 PM »
Strange the way the English all think us folk in Scotland have decided we want to be Independent!   It's Alex Salmond who has decided that.  All the people I know are totally against Independence, however, this could be because he used to be our local M.P. and we all know him so well.

Offline dycedon

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2013, 06:14:05 AM »
You are right Jaqui, if people will take a look at the polls, the bigger percentage do not want independence, all the comments from the (english) people on here really dont know what they are talking about, it is very seldom on the news or papers doon the road so the opinions they have are ingrained into them as a superior race in the UK, so peeps have a trawl through some litrature about independence and then come back with your same opinions, as Jaqui says not ALL of us up here want independence as it will not work so watch this space 18/09/14, the big day.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2013, 09:21:27 AM »
I've re-read the posts here and can't find a single English person who claims the majority of Scots want independence - let alone ALL the Scots! Perhaps people living in Scotland don't know very much about what people think "south of the border".

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2013, 09:44:36 AM »
Sorry Colwyn, I am English, but have lived in Scotland longer than I lived in England and it's my home and I love being here, my children and grandchild are Scottish.  However, postings here seem quite hostile, just as if we all want to be away from England, which is not true.   The assumption is us people in Scotland cannot wait for Independance.  Just one example is Savoyboys posting which I have copied below.  Perhaps living in England you don't know much about us North of the Border.

As the song says 'You can go your own way'
Go brown.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »
Do you regard Savoyboy's little ditty as "hostile"? Good gracious me.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
I regard it as not knowing that all the people in Scotland don't want Independance.  It's an assumption made by English people who have no knowledge of the situation here in Scotland.  I feel, as I lived in England and now live in Scotland I do know that many people here feel hurt that the English tell us to go, and assume that is what we want. i.e. "Be careful what you wish for"  however, the majority do not wish for Independance.  The English are listening to Salmond and taking his view as what all people in Scotland want. 
There are people on this Forum who are Scottish or who live in Scotland.  I have not read any comments from them that they want Independance, all the comments are to stay as one Nation.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »
except of course with the Students and you but that is normal as when you are young
You are not mistaking me for someone who is "young" are you? Anyway, I didn't actually say I supported Independence. My point was about someone who claims to be a "passionate" supporter of the Union but who won't go into a public debate on the topic - so he couldn't come on this thread! I guess I would know a lot more about the pros and cons of independence if could vote - I would try to make certain I had a more informed opinion. As an disfranchised outsider I tend to lean to the independence option being better for Scotland but I don't have a soapbox for this issue.
The "you" was a typographical typing with feet error  :) should have been "young"  :)

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »
"As the song says 'You can go your own way'
Go brown. "

As long as it's not Gordon Brown Jacqui  :)  :) Not surprised you like living there, I lived in Busby south of Glasgow for a while and really enjoyed my time there. My Daughter was very negative when her Husband was posted to Edinburgh, I spent a long time telling her that the Country was beautiful, the Education system better, the services more efficient and less Costly, the public transport in Edinburgh outstanding! (not too mention the delights of a pint of Heavy -- well OK that was for my benefit  :) ) 3 years in she didn't want to leave!

What Scotland needs as does every state in the Union is a sea change of attitude and direction, a return to properly educating all our people, apprenticeships, make things (look at the Falkirk Wheeel what an engineering achievement!) and stop insisting every child wastes huge amounts of Public Money going to University just to have a piece of paper that says they have! Best way to do that is together not divided as a Union but a fair one which, without the SNP I don't believe Scotland would have got! Has it served its purpose now I wonder?

Of course we could all join our Royal Family and be --- German? They seem to have got it right there under Frau Merkel (no ribald comment anyone please!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf