Author Topic: A "safe working environment"? - work permit, or lack of...  (Read 2837 times)

Offline CharlotteC

A "safe working environment"? - work permit, or lack of...
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:34:15 PM »
Hello to all members of CBF  :)
I usually find all the answers I need without having to start new topics but I just can't satisfy my curious mind on this one. In a nutshell, I am in the VERY early stages of planning a move over to Fethiye to live with my other half who already works in Calis. One thing I really don't want to happen is for him to be the bread winner and me sit at home twiddling my thumbs waiting for my 5 year residency period to be up before I'm a fully fledged kimlik holder.
To avoid this I've searched the web for some jobs that are available to foreigners and am so surprised to see so many adverts (several for bar work, hotel receptionists, and boat trip workers requiring a native English speaker) soothing applicants by stating that if they can't get a work permit for you then you'll be guaranteed a "safe working environment". Now I'm young but I'm not stupid and I know that no work permit = big risk of deportation but are foreigners really safe in these jobs by taking this risk?! Aren't the businesses themselves risking fines if they're caught with illegal workers?
I didn't realise that employing foreigners was quite so popular but in all honesty what is the 'hit' rate on discovering illegal workers and is it possible to have a safe working environment in this circumstance?

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: A "safe working environment"? - work permit, or lack of...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 13:03:15 PM »
I'm no expert but I'm guessing if you are not supposed to be there then the employer will not have your insurances etc covered. So if something happens you're on your own.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 13:08:09 PM »
"Safe working environments" come in my experience from your boss/partner knowing someone in authority who can make it all go away if things get tricky. This is all very good but as with most things in Turkey that rely on who you know, people change, they move on (or are moved on) and your "safe working environment may be no more. And yes, the companies get significant fines too.

In practice the ratio of foreigners working illegally to deportations is actually very low and you are statistically (at this time) unlikely to have a problem. But if you do - and if you are good at what you do you will draw attention I assure you - you may be on the next flight out of Dalaman to the UK. Not where you live necessarily - you may be from Bristol and the next UK flight is the Aberdeen one...

And if you have a property over there, or other significant ties, you may not be able to sort them out before you go - or return to do so for a number of years.

So the answer is...erm...probably no problem but if unlucky, a big problem. Getting a kimlik after 5 years isn't automatic or easy either.

Take a look at positions that give a work permit - the number of work permits issued has increased massively in the last 10 years.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 13:19:08 PM »
In the world of employment agencies, "safe working environment" is actually a euphemism for working in a private home where you are not going to be seen by all and sundry to be "working".

I suspect you've been looking at a certain Marmaris emploment agency web site...

If you've no WP then you've got no rights, none at all.  No insurance in place for work place accidents and no health cover for illness.  No recourse for non payment of wages which is common place when you're working under the radar.

Is it worth it?  Work it out yourself.

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 13:41:31 PM »
I would suggest you don't need to sit home. The many Charities over in the Fethiye area are always looking for helpers.  I am sure they would keep you very busy and you would be doing worthwhile work

Offline CharlotteC

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 14:08:14 PM »
Thank you very helpful grown ups that have got back to me  :) I wasn't suggesting that I was personally going to partake in work without a WP I just wanted to find out how foreigners got away with it when businesses were so openly breaking the law! It was just something that came up while I was searching for jobs (although it does sound far too good to be true). My nerve definitely wouldn't hold up if I knew I wasn't covered and could be found out at any moment!
I would love to volunteer with charities in the Fethiye area Jacqui, it's something I'm interested in. I'm a big animal lover so maybe Animal Aid might have me as a volunteer!
I've got plenty of time to plan the move though, I don't expect anything to go ahead for at least 12 months so lots of time to get things right!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 17:04:06 PM »
The other angle to look at is the very strong possibility that you won't get paid for the work that you've done for a Turk. Afterall, who are you going to complain to if you've been working without a Work Permit?

It's hard enough for Turks to get their money after working a whole season only to be told in October "sorry lads we've had a bad season and we can't pay you". We've seen it happen a number of times.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »
Thank you very helpful grown ups that have got back to me   :) I wasn't suggesting that I was personally going to partake in work without a WP I just wanted to find out how foreigners got away with it when businesses were so openly breaking the law!

The answer is that British/Turkish combinations do tend to work quite well (although as stated above getting your share of the proceeds is not always as friendly) - and the authorities tend not to be proactive in dealing with those working without a permit. It is a very reactive system.

Reactive means, nobody cares when you are helping your Turkish friend, but if he starts to look a little busy or successful someone will make a phone call to try and scupper his progress. It is a very jealous environment - I've seen nothing like it in the UK - and it isn't just jealous Turks, Brits can be just as bad or possibly even more vindictive.

But as also mentioned earlier, there are jobs now where you are out of sight of these people - working from home or 'backroom'.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf