Author Topic: Which is Better?  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Which is Better?
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 16:36:33 PM »
I heard a TV chef talking about this a few days ago. He said "Most people only eat Turkey once a year. And there is a very good reason for that." Have tried goose once - I liked it and so did Daughter #2. Hilary declared she couldn't see what all the fuss was about; it was just like a big duck (I didn't see this as a problem, I love duck). Anyway we haven't had one since - so Lidl is losing out on that trade, pity. Then for a few years we had guinea fowl. Lovely, and a dream to "carve"; just get some kitchen scissors and cut each carcass in half; sorted. But now we have 6 and a half (granddaughter) coming round for Christmas so it is back to turkey. Hilary cooks it in a Jamie Oliver chicken style - slitting the skin and pushing butter with fresh herbs underneath and covering it all with bacon rashers. This means it doesn't dry out which is usually a problem with turkey. I'll be making citrus and thyme stuffing and an apricot and chestnut stuffing to go with it.

A long answer but a clear conclusion. Turkey is better than chicken. And frozen free range is better than fresh factory turkey.

P.S. And, of course, the compulsory pigs in blankets and sprouts.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 17:02:17 PM »
Definately Goose, I mean have you ever heard of anyone coming in 2 hours after  Xmas dinner when every one is full up and saying who fancies a goose sandwich.  ;)  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 17:11:18 PM »
We usually end up at someone else's for Christmas dinner and normally end up with goose. Hence the choice of two - we are staying home and want just a 'normal' Christmas dinner whatever that is. Yes I know perhaps goose is possibly the most traditional choice anyway but you'll know what I mean.

Offline marina

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 17:42:32 PM »
Tomorrow is our Christmas Dinner No. 1.  This one is for Daughter number 2 and her husband who are emigrating to New Zealand next Saturday the 21st.   :'(

It's everything supposedly traditional, turkey and stuffing, roast potatoes, potato croquettes, carrots and sprouts (plus broccoli for the non-sprout eaters) and pigs in blankets.
Followed by Christmas pudding, mince pies and Christmas cake and cheese!   :)

And no doubt lots of wine to wash it down with and hopefully not too many tears.

None of this BBQ in the garden Christmas they'll get in NZ with Adam's family.   ;)

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 17:48:23 PM »
Love my Christmas dinner with Turkey,sprouts,roasters n veg and all the traditions that go with it. First one tonight, office do,but never think to eat it any other time of the year. Goose and Duck, I can,t do.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 18:00:17 PM »
Turkey crown for us, Can't be bothered with the legs etc.  no one eats them here.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 18:22:31 PM »
No legs!!! But how are you going to sit at the head of the table and pontificate on things specific and general without a leg to wave about to orchestrate your narrative? You'll look a little silly brandishing a wing. (Mind you, anyone looks silly brandishing a leg as well - especially if your paper hat has fallen over one of their eyes.)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 19:08:01 PM »
Turkey for us

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 19:35:29 PM »
Turkey, the American import that supplanted the goose is available every day of the week in supermarkets in all forms, breasts, crowns, slices, legs joints...I am not a Turkey lover, but if I cook it, I cook it upside down so all the juices run into the breast and not away from it.  That way it makes it juicy and not dry.

Offline sandgrounder

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 23:17:56 PM »
No, fake meat for vegetarians should be outlawed!

Vegetarians should be outlawed! I actually listened to a Fruitarian on the Jeremy Vine Show earlier this week.................what a nutter!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf