Author Topic: What do think?  (Read 8157 times)

Offline johntaylor49

What do think?
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:45:28 PM »
If a referendum was held to ask for an extra penny in the pound Income Tax to basic rate payers, and 2 pence to higher income payers for a parliamentary term to fund a massive Prison Building program and additional Policing with tougher sentencing what do you think would be the result? Would the British people rather have more and better prisons or more criminals let off because the prison system is not adequate? Would they be prepared to pay?

Could Prisoners do work of a nature that could pay for their keep?

Answers on a postcard that will fit through the bars  --

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: What do think?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 13:38:18 PM »
The local council here in Wrexham have just granted permission for the construction of a new prison. Already the NIMBYs (many of whom don't live within 10 miles of the site) have started campaigning against it.

I was brought-up near Maidstone Prison in the 50s, 60s and 70s and everyday there used to be workpartys of prisoners going out to do maintenance work on buildings, parks, gardens etc in the area. It was all brought to a halt because of the reduction in staff at the prison.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 13:41:47 PM »
How about a penny more tax per pound and make life mean life. I'm in.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 13:44:54 PM »
I would much rather they re allocate funds they have earmarked for things like aid for India when they have a space program or some of the funds we pay for Europe than just be taxed extra. I have no faith that the extra taxes would be used to fund what we are led to believe.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 14:16:17 PM »
The UK already has more of its population in prison than any other country in Western Europe and has done so for decades. Why the hell should I pay 5% more tax to lock even more people away? Are we trying to get up to US levels of imprisonment? That will be good won't it? We'll be just as safe and law-abiding as they are.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 14:32:46 PM by Colwyn »

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 14:31:31 PM »
I would pay tuppence extra in Income Tax if they brought back capital punishment and the birch and hard labour and gave criminals meaningful sentences. Oh yes, and made sure that their "Human Rights" were well violated!!!

TC >:( >:(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 16:12:26 PM »
We are having a new Prison built in Peterhead.  It's a shame for the people who had lovely views of the sea as now they can only see a Prison, it has devalued their houses by 40% but, they will receive no compensation.
The other thing that has made people in Peterhead mad is, the Priisoners in the old Prison complained last year that the sun was shining through their cell windows and waking them up in the morning.  So, they were provided with blinds for every cell,at a cost of thousands of pounds even though the blinds will be useless in a few months time.  >:( :o

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 16:27:07 PM »
A case in the news yesterday.
A man built up a landscaping business and employs 6 people.In the last few years his
premises have been broken into and he has had £18,000 of goods stolen.Last year he
caught two men breaking in.One of them attacked him with a wooden fencing post,he
fought back and one suffered two broken legs and a broken arm.He caught the other
one and sat on him until the police arrived.The thieves were later fined £75 each.
The businessman was locked up for 18 hours,charged with assault,made 5 appearances
in court and yesterday his trial took place.The jury took 20 minutes to throw the case out.

The police and prosecutors should now be put on trial.     A total disgrace.

Colwyn.
What is your alternative to locking criminals up.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 16:30:03 PM »

Colwyn.
What is your alternative to locking criminals up.

Make 'em live in Bristol?  :)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 16:58:10 PM »
That's a bit harsh isn't it.!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf