Author Topic: Buying lira in UK  (Read 9309 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Buying lira in UK
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:52:13 AM »
If anyone is thinking of buying lira in the UK whilst it is high make sure you pay at the time of the rate that is being shown....
I was at Asda Tuesday and our one has a currency booth the lira was showing 3.74 so I thought what the hell I will buy £100 worth,when I handed my card to the "kid" working behind the booth he said no need to pay now pay when you collect ok I said as I was in a hurry to get to work so it suited...Hubby went to collect it yesterday and there was only 360 lira so he queried it and that was what he was told!! It is only 14tl difference so is not about that it was that nasty feeling you get (well I do) when I have been conned... Maybe other members will be aware of this but we certainly weren't.... :(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Buying lira in UK
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »
What if it had been 3.88 when picked up...?

JF

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
well if it had been 3.88 when picked up then obviously I would have gained, I was not hoping to gain though just get the rate at which it was on day of purchase...

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 12:35:32 PM »

JF

They probably would have given Karin 3.74  and told her that was the rate when she bought.  ;) : :)

Karin, I would write to Asda and complain, they are usually very good and may be offer you some vouchers.
My daughter went to shop in our local Asda and it was freezing cold, the heating had broken down and they chose to keep the place open.  She felt sorry for the Staff.  She wrote to Asda via their website and they offered their apologies and sent her some vouchers.....So, it's worth a try.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:54:36 PM »
She complained because the shop was open? How odd. What would she have done if it was closed? Complained?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 13:04:07 PM »
Yes, and got some vouchers.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 13:08:51 PM »
She complained because it was freezing cold and although she tried to walk around and shop the cold got the better of her and she left and went to Morrison's, Yes Colwyn we do have other supermarkets in Scotland strange as that may seem.  Her main concern, which she expressed to Asda, was for the Staff, who had told her they were told the heating could not be quickly fixed, would be off all day and they had to stay on as they store would not close.   My daughter had the choice to leave the freezing cold store, the staff did not.  She also did not realise she would be receiving the vouchers when she complained.

Offline engineerdave

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 13:26:07 PM »
 I know it is an afterthought but you should have got  it confirmed you were  buying at the rate of 3.74.
Yes i would complain to Asda stating that you were misled they were misleading other customers and if you are not compensated you will take it further. Don't let them fob you off Karennina.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 14:04:08 PM »

JF
They probably would have given Karin 3.74  and told her that was the rate when she bought.   ;) :  :)

You've missed the point - she didn't buy, her husband did; and when he did buy, he was given the rate at that time.  If the lira had dropped, I would be very surprised if they had than applied a historical rate to a current transaction.

Maybe you just don't like Asda?

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 14:07:56 PM »
I'm just poppin' down to my local ASDA to let them know that I'm traumatised at the way in which they treat their Scottish staff. But I'll assure them that I would probably get over the trauma with the help of a few vouchers.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf