Author Topic: Your First Ever League Match?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Your First Ever League Match?
« on: May 03, 2014, 22:57:13 PM »
ColinT gave me this idea over on FB  :)

What was the first league match you went to?

I clearly remember mine - Luton Town v Stoke, not sure exactly when it was but probably the best Stoke team of all time - Shilton, Hudson, Greenhoff etc - and Kenilworth Road held up to 15,000 (today at least a third less than that) for an atmosphere I'd never known the like of. I don't remember too much of the game itself but I do remember the score.

Sadly 0-0.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: Your First Ever League Match?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 00:27:45 AM »
I was about 8 so 40 years ago and went to stoke vs ? score was 2-2. I didn't have a clue what was going on. I wasn't a supporter and still don't really follow football.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 05:11:49 AM »
1969, when I was 16, I went to watch West Ham at home twice, don't remember who against or the scores. Didn't really take to it & got interested in motorsports instead.

Offline jonuzumlu

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:20:41 AM »
1961 - Bristol Rovers playing a night match at Eastville. I still remember how magical the pitch looked under floodlights.
Feeling very sad and nostalgic this morning.  :(

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:38:33 AM »
1972 (ish), Rotherham.

The Millers versus Leeds Utd.

I come from Rotherham but went to support Leeds, a team I knew everything about back then.

No idea what the score was. I do remember being bored stiff after 30 minutes but not wanting to admit it to my friends. So I pretended to go to the loo and actually sneaked off back home on the bus.

Offline GlennB

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »
Must have been late 60s early 70s, Brighton v Oxford, a Wednesday night Brighton won 6-0, I was hooked, I remember being at the front with my Grandad behind me, the front of the stand was below pitch level and my chin rested on the wall! I still have a Brighton Season Ticket, not sure if we're ready for the top flight though.

Offline thebillet

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 07:20:53 AM »
18th May 1963 Manchester United 3 Leyton Orient 1. I recall MU playing a high tempo game after the half time break a trait, I came to associate with Sir Matt Busby. A mere 32759 in attendance and goals from Law and Charlton. I was 9.

It was on that day I learned my greatest ever lesson watching football: no matter how carefully you select your viewing position some great lumbering giant will come and stand directly in front of you 2 minutes before the kick off. Thank God for seated stadia. I was always willing to pay the extra back in the day to sit in the cantilever stand at Old Trafford.

There must be another thread in the making about affordability of football. I remember paying 6/- or 8/- to watch games as a teenager, now it is £29 to watch Forest!

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
March? 1952 Liverpool v Arsenal at Anfield I can't recall the score but Arsenal won the league that year, I think.  :) I Was stationed at RAF West Kirby doing basic training for national service at that time.

DonM

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 09:21:21 AM »
1st Feb 1961 - Man Utd 2 - Sheff Weds 7 - with Ronnie Briggs in goal for United who I seem to remember got all the blame the following morning  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf