Author Topic: Air Con Occupancy Sensors  (Read 5905 times)

Offline scorcher

Re: Air Con Occupancy Sensors
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »
Thanks Phil and I take your point about cultivating the right atmosphere with guests/clients. None of this would be needed of course if folks behaved responsibly ! Good luck with it and let us know if it works - I seem to remember this subject has been raised before on here.

Offline jondo

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
I'm totally with you on this Phil. But with guests not appreciating the cost of electricity it would be great if there was a 'friendly' solution.

The sensor gadget would be ideal if it was day v night sensitive and would need to be hardwired since I could see guests removing batteries otherwise!
      Our electric meter is on the other side of the site so it would be a fiddle to operate a before & after reading.....& a calculation......by the gardener! Then he has to get the payment from the guest!
      Increased rental costs are risky as you run the risk of not having an electricity bill at all  !!
      We've tried getting the gardener to switch off the mains (access by front door) if he notices aircon working while guests are away for the day but he isn't able to be there at all the appropriate times. 
      We've tried the key card but it can be circumvented.

So...no easy solution. I await further suggestions with keen anticipation.  :-\

Offline Phil

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
Well I fitted one of the occupancy sensors in one of our bedrooms ................

Installing it was fairly straightforward (but very fiddly). You certainly need to be a confident electrician to be able to do it. I doubt if a Turkish electrician would cope with the English instructions provided.

Setting it all up and testing it was a bit of pain, but I finally got it all working.

The basic idea is that if the gadget does not detect any movement then it will switch the air con off after a short time (which you can set as 10 minutes, 30 mins or an hour).

There are several other settings (eg based on daylight ) but I did not select these. There is also an optional replacement remote which will limit the minimum temperature you can choose, but for the time being I have not installed this.

I tested it for a few days and nights and it seems to do exactly what it says on the tin.

I installed the hard wired mid-range option (not the basic battery model) and it is pretty much tamper proof. A determined person could download the instructions from the internet and then fathom out how to alter the settings or override the unit. My understanding is that the next model up is PIN protected.

I will fit another one next year in the main downstairs room but I will fit the top of the range model with a door sensor.

If it continues to function correctly I think it does provide a friendly solution which you would have to be pretty unreasonable to complain about. The only downside is that they are quite expensive to purchase. I wait to see how much savings they provide.

Offline kaptainkrunchie

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »
Someone in Fethiye has started to import these aircon controllers. PM for his number (or is it OK to post it on here?)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 15:24:23 PM »
We stayed somewhere a couple of years ago and the rental price was set. But we agreed to pay the electric cost per unit which we read on arrival and then again when we left. This suited us very well. Clearly the rental price must affect this kind of deal, so maybe lower your rental cost to accommodate such an arrangement especially during summer months? Just a thought.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf