Author Topic: Expat Wives of Turkish Men Worry About Future  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Expat Wives of Turkish Men Worry About Future
« on: November 04, 2014, 20:16:11 PM »
"In Istanbul, where there have been protests against Turkey’s perceived inaction to help Kurds in Kobane, some expat women married to locals said they were concerned about their loved ones in the event of the Turkish government implementing the military draft.

Tamsin Young, 30, originally from Oxford and now living in Fethiye, said: "I'm even thinking of marrying my Turkish fiancé sooner to try and get him out if something happened. I’ve got pounds in my safe and an escape route planned.""

Daily Telegraph Full Story

Offline thebillet

Re: Expat Wives of Turkish Men Worry About Future
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 16:32:22 PM »
Interesting option: marrying a British citizen as a route to settling in UK. My understanding that any non UK/EU individual even with a British spouse will find tough settlement criteria imposed especially around income streams in the UK, if for example you earn minimum wage in UK this will not be enough to gain access for your spouse. The income requirement is £18600 which increases as you include any dependent children.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/jul/11/appeal-court-18600-foreign-spouse-uk

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Expat Wives of Turkish Men Worry About Future
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 17:16:55 PM »
Gotta say that this article, while having a modicum of truth about it, is a load of sensationalist bollox.  The author is a freelance scribbler more used to having her byline in Time Out then the Telegraph.

In Istanbul its business as usual - unless of course you're American.  They tend to worry a lot about security, but then again, if you were an American I suppose you would...  I really liked this one:

"One American expat, who didn't want to be named, said she feels "an unnerving sense of doom – like it's pre-war Poland or Germany and Kristalnacht is about to happen"."

Way too many quotes from "who didn't want to be named" in this article.  Unattributed quotes?  Well, we all know where they usually come from, don't we  ;)

Lots of folks have Plan B's, and for a variety of reasons.  No one I know (wifeys or hubbies) has a Plan B specifically relating to IS etc.  They are all more mundane such as issues with RP/WP and the ever increasing cost of a glass of NZ Sav Blanc down the local boozer.  Thats not to say the situation doesn't concern them, just that there a lot of other aspects to being an "ex pat" to think about first.

Back to Time Out petal.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf