Author Topic: Holiday Cost: Turkey v Elsewhere  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Holiday Cost: Turkey v Elsewhere
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 17:45:56 PM »
I'm sure you are.

In Benidorm it was 2 bottles of Amstel for 3 euros on the main strip with great service and full sea view. As mentioned, in Portugal the pricing was simplified, 1 euro for beer/wine/soft drinks in many places.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 18:34:59 PM »
How did the hotels compare? We have not found a hotel in Calis to compare with European resorts.. Basic is the norm in Calis.. The breakfasts are also better...

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 19:02:12 PM »
How did the hotels compare?
. This will be only the second time I have holidayed in Portugal. The first isn't a proper comparison with Turkey since we splashed out on a pousada - an historic building converted into an hotel; ours used to be a convent. The pousada was absolutely splendid {in fact we felt we ought to be dressed more smartly to stay there} and the breakfasts were also excellent. But it wasn't in the usual Calis price range!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 19:22:50 PM »
Tough times ahead, but at least (according to the email I received this evening) even in these uncertain political times, Turkey can compete on price

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 22:38:48 PM »
We are on holiday in the North of Tenerife at the moment.  The streets are spotless, no rubbish lying anywhere.  There are bins for each category of rubbish.  The alcohol is all very reasonable priced with lots of choice.  Restaurants are lovely and most expensive wine on wine list is 20 Euros.  There is not a lot of English spoken.  We note absolutely no full English breakfasts or Sunday Roasts. The restaurants all have local food, lovely fresh fish and meat.  No waiters sitting down at tables with you or trying to sell you a property The motorists are so polite, they stop for people at crossings and wave people over the roads, they wait patiently for other motorists and we have yet to hear a horn blown. No parking fees anywhere, just lots of free parking. No stray dogs or cats and no barking dogs at night. When you walk in a shop there is a pleasant "Ola" but then you are left to browse no one bothers you, unless you ask for help, no one follows you along.
However, why the hell do I still love Calis and cannot wait to get back ????

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 06:13:34 AM »
We were like that in Croatia Jacqui.
No atmosphere and no Turkish charm.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »
I think you would be very dissapointed with Southern Tenerife Jacqui.. It may be cheap but it is definately a pub..English breakfast and and rough sort of place.. The Veronicas is a place to avoid...

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »
I know Mercury, that is why we are in the North.  Nothing like the South and we are not planning any trips south either.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf