Author Topic: Things Are Looking Even More Grim for Turkey 2016 Season  (Read 9348 times)

Offline patrice

Re: Things Are Looking Even More Grim for Turkey 2016 Season
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 13:03:20 PM »
We have booked two flights to Turkey this year but if I am honest would I be going if we did not have an apartment there ...I don't think so .It's ok being loyal to Turkey and saying 'a terrorist attack can happen anywhere ' but I would rather being on my own turf  god forbid if it did happen with family and friends not a four hour flight away and unable to speak the language fluently

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 13:35:41 PM »
How many of you saying that Turkey is safe to visit would holiday in Egypt with a family? .We have decided against Calis this year.. Not because of any terrorist worries we just want a change.. After living there 6 years and stating there 2 months a year for the last 3 years we feel that we have been there done that... Also so many of the friends that we had there have left that we feel it wouldn't be the same..
We are trying Spanish resorts early in the year.. Better quality hotels and a good price for half board...
I really don't think that some members should be insulting tourists who choose not to come to Calis/Fethiye this year because they are affected by what they see on the news in England.. If they didn't own a property out there, would they really care anyway... ?? We all know and love what is actually a very small part of Turkey but that doesn't mean that everybody else has too... Our son is actually talking about booking Hillside in September so it hasn't put him off..

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 13:42:11 PM »
They have booked a week in Morrocco.Is it safe there?Who knows,I hope so.

About as safe as Tunisia was - it only takes one radicalised idiot and a gun.

The difference I guess between Morocco/Tunisia and Turkey is that Turkey has the threat of Islamist extremist attacks, but also bombings due to the escalation of PKK actiity (brought on by you know who) and a perception of thousands of refugees traipsing across the entire width of the country, congregating in the tourist resorts for a rubber boat to paradise. Beaches littered with dead children.

Three reasons to avoid the area for people who believe what they are told. And I don't blame them.

Offline Christie

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 16:13:30 PM »
We agree with mercurys comments.  We have gone to Calis twice a year for the past 18 years, but this year I don't want to return.  I do know how big turkey is and I know calis is far from the border of Syria so I don't need that pointing out to me, but due to various things happening in turkey recently I just would not feel happy going over there this year.   We know what good value spain is and also Portugal so maybe that is where we will go this summer.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 18:54:05 PM »
We still live here and feel no difference with all that is reported. But we did live in the UK through the 60;s 70's with all the IRA were throwing at us. Problems can happen anywhere. Each to their own.

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 23:59:50 PM »
My other half works works for a well known sports/entertainment arena, they are currently on their highest security alert I have ever known to date and have been for quite some time (as are all such venues), I read time and again how people wont go to Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia ect ect but how many of these same people have been to a concert or or sporting event and not given a single thought about security??.
France, spain, Germany and many more are on the same security threat level but I keep hearing we are just sticking to spain this year!..

markar

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Things Are Looking Even More Grim for Turkey 2016 Season
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 04:02:55 AM »
I'm very wary of large venues anywhere at the moment but in the UK we expect excellent security. Doesn't mean an atrocity isn't around the corner though.

Interestingly, because we own there and are now retired, we have booked just over six weeks this year. Life others though I'm pretty certain we wouldn't have - without the home to go to in Koca Calls.

Tell you what though - where we are now, even though they get attacks in the south and the capital, we feel so safe. The Thai people are just so friendly, honest and respectful.

On a lighter note I think the Thai may have been infiltrated by Irish Mick and Paddy. I read yesterday that two men burst into a Bangkok shop with plastic guns and the shop owner shot them both dead. Turns out it was a gun shop they decided to raid!

Shouldn't laugh but I did - sorry    :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 04:49:21 AM »
Good to know that you didn't get tuked up.  ;)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 07:46:45 AM »

2 Thai birds asked me to join them for a threesome.

It was just like winning the Lottery.

We had 6 matching balls.               ;)      tuk  tuk, naughty. 

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 10:16:42 AM »
We still live here and feel no difference with all that is reported. But we did live in the UK through the 60;s 70's with all the IRA were throwing at us. Problems can happen anywhere. Each to their own.

I'd have been surprised if you had noticed much difference as Fethiye has always been a little bit different to the rest of Turkey, probably even more so in recent years (it's that Fethiye bubble effect again  :) )!

There's always been a level of tolerance in the Fethiye area that is rarely found outside large cities - maybe I should call it the "Izmir Effect" instead.  The local council have also been pretty astute in how they've dealt with the increased level of tourism and foreign ownership over the past twenty years, unlike some areas like Altinkum or Marmaris for example.  Whether by design or accident, they created Calis and Hisaronu to satisfy different demands from owners/tourists and this left Fethiye itself relatively unchanged, in comparison to many other resorts. 

The fact that local businesses employ staff from all over Turkey helps to increase the "mix" during the season - many of them are from the East and South East of the country and, over time, many have settled in Fethiye which adds a further local dynamic  ;) 

The longer Fethiye stays the way it is, both politically and economically, the happier I am.  I don't get down there as much as I used to but as things stand, if the opportunity arose I'd have no hesitation in spending a bit of time chilling out at our place.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf