Author Topic: This is what folks think about Turkey  (Read 6965 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: This is what folks think about Turkey
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 10:33:27 AM »
The people posting that they will never go to Turkey (for whatever reason) would have been there most years posting those comments - irrespective of what may be happening in Turkey in regard to bombs/PKK/ISIL/migrant crisis etc.

What is concerning is the number of people on that topic and generally who have been to Turkey and seemingly enjoyed it, who say they won't even consider going this year. Turkey has long been a place that more than anywhere needs just one chance to capture people's hearts, and it appears to be losing that too in many cases.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 11:49:14 AM »
Must have been using a dodgy old chart!

Still - at 98.6% it's way up there.

Pretty similar percentage to the Maldives where the (almost) equally high percentage of Muslims doesn't get much of a mention when considering it as a holiday spot.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 20:21:43 PM »
Interestingly, today on the same website, a few comments but the 'heat' of a deal to Kos (overrun with refugees) goes the opposite way to the one to Turkey:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/holiday-for-two-kos-accommodation-flights-9-nights-ryanair-2425052

Offline mac2010

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 08:34:14 AM »
Lets see what the same narrow minded, media driven idiots say and do when the bombs start going off (GOD FORBID) in the so called safe zones.   It is a sad state of affairs for everywhere and time will only tell. 

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 10:20:26 AM »
To combine the last two posts, how do people feel about visiting Greece? This is what the FCO says:

There is a general threat from terrorism and acts of political violence. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by foreigners ...

There have been several attacks involving explosives and automatic weapons against Greek institutions, shopping malls, media interests, diplomatic targets and the police ...

British nationals aren’t normally considered a specific target, but attacks could happen in places visited by foreigners.

The advice concludes with:

There is considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

Offline Stortman

• Formerly the artist known as Essexboy
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »
I think that last post from Colwyn just sums up the situation and probably the dilemma that a lot of potential visitors face. The FCO is not saying don't go to Turkey, they are stating that there is the potential risk of terrorist attacks. Holidaymakers do not see such advice or comment raised against any other typical tourist destination and for people who only have 1 major holiday a year they are unlikely or unwilling to choose Turkey over other (apparently less risky) destinations. The fact that people like me (and I suspect the majority of people who contribute to this forum) who visit Turkey more than once a year and are comfortable still going despite the situation is neither here nor there. On the balance of probability people are weighing up the risk of facing problems in Turkey over other European destinations and deciding that at this time maybe discretion needs to take precedence and go to Spain or wherever. It's sad and I suspect that there will be consequences to the area that we all know and love - but I had the same misgivings back in 1998 on whether to go ahead with our first family holiday in Turkey when the PKK was highly active (although maybe not as blatant about indiscriminate activity as it seems to be now). We took the plunge, fell in love with the area and have subsequently put a few roots down. But for people who have less of a link to the region the decision I believe that they will vote for will be enjoying their holiday without looking over their shoulder for the would-be terrorist - and who can blame them.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »
I was listening to a travel agent on the radio the other day and he said people are now starting to book their summer holidays. He said Tunisia and Turkey bookings were down tremendously and that Portugal was the number 1 at the moment with Spain a close second.

He also said that even those who went every year were now looking to go elsewhere due to the problems with terrorism.

It does't bode well for this season for Turkey as a whole but hopefully the Fethiye region might come out a little better. A couple of our friends have said they will be going again this year after going for the first time last year. I think the Sensatori is quite well booked as well judging by their FB page.

- so there is some hope left

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 11:21:57 AM »
Judging by the Facebook page that only allows positive posts to stay? Good indicator that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 12:14:39 PM »
I think that last post from Colwyn just sums up the situation and probably the dilemma that a lot of potential visitors face. The FCO is not saying don't go to Turkey, they are stating that there is the potential risk of terrorist attacks. Holidaymakers do not see such advice or comment raised against any other typical tourist destination and for people who only have 1 major holiday a year they are unlikely or unwilling to choose Turkey over other (apparently less risky) destinations. The fact that people like me (and I suspect the majority of people who contribute to this forum) who visit Turkey more than once a year and are comfortable still going despite the situation is neither here nor there. On the balance of probability people are weighing up the risk of facing problems in Turkey over other European destinations and deciding that at this time maybe discretion needs to take precedence and go to Spain or wherever. It's sad and I suspect that there will be consequences to the area that we all know and love - but I had the same misgivings back in 1998 on whether to go ahead with our first family holiday in Turkey when the PKK was highly active (although maybe not as blatant about indiscriminate activity as it seems to be now). We took the plunge, fell in love with the area and have subsequently put a few roots down. But for people who have less of a link to the region the decision I believe that they will vote for will be enjoying their holiday without looking over their shoulder for the would-be terrorist - and who can blame them.
Excellent post Stortman,your take on the issues well put  8)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 18:21:11 PM »
Judging by the Facebook page that only allows positive posts to stay? Good indicator that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No - judging by the number of people who appear to be actually going this year.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf