Author Topic: EU Vote Result - we're out!!  (Read 13208 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: EU Vote Result - we're out!!
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2016, 15:51:58 PM »
I was so sad to hear about the lovely 14 year old killed by a Latvian man living in the U.K.  He had spent 7 years in jail in Latvia for murdering his wife.   However, he was allowed into the U.K.
I think this may be more important than temporary losses in pensions.

Blimey Jacqui this sort of unaligned and insensitive comparison could get you thrown off CBF .... look what happened to DM??

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2016, 15:56:32 PM »
UBT old sock, I can see you are a bit confused about economics. It simply means the £ has gone down in value.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2016, 16:03:19 PM »
Now I have had some dodgy, indeed flakey, old data and statistics thrown at me in my life, but is the international value of pensions and savings - whatever that is? - the best you can throw at me to do down the Brexit?  What impact does this new index - can I describe it thus? - have on your real day to day life.

I think you are being deliberately obtuse. 

Its fairly obvious, at least to me, that Colwyn is talking about the value of his biscuit tin full of pounds pre brexit v post brexit when compared to the USD, EUR etc.  His expedition to deepest Estoril in September will now cost him X% more than it would have done had the pound not dropped faster than a Meeting Point steak to a hungry dog.

Our plans for wintering in Spain this year will also cost X% more.  I can see exactly where he's coming from.

I've changed my mind, you are being deliberately obtuse.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2016, 16:10:38 PM »
My infamous holiday in Estoril is only going to last a fortnight and I'll happily take the hit. Of rather more importance is the increase in oil prices (which we buy in $) and the impact this will have on UK costs, plus all those other things we import which are going to be more expensive. In some circumstances making imports expensive and making exports cheap may help an economy. But I don't think we are in those circumstances.

P.S. The phrase "happily take the hit" may have be inappropriate. Perhaps "I'll just have to take the hit" would be more fitting.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2016, 16:32:53 PM »
Have you considered that Comrade Carney has signaled a cut in interest rates in the coming days, this means that many families will have extra cash every month as their mortgage payments are cut.  They can put this additional cash to other use on essential items or even non-essential like extra holiday dosh. 

Now I'll have to go away and consider whether that is an obtuse comment or not  ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2016, 16:51:22 PM »
I wouldn't hold my breath for banks to cut mortgage rates. Meanwhile Osborne has announces he is going to cut corporation tax to less than 15% - more than 5% below current levels - in order to stop them leaving UK and encouraging investment from those that are staying. So if corporations are going to pay less tax there are only a couple of choices: all the rest of us pay more or there are even deeper cuts in our services. Or we pay for NHS treatment perhaps (backdoor tax).

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »
Come on Colwyn your not surprised at Osborne trying to get lower Corporation Tax through under the disguise of 'necessary' in the post Brexit world.  He has previous in putting through many right wing economic fiscal policies under the same banner as 'necessary' because of Austerity, look at the cut in the 50% tax rate for the rich for example, and the only people that fooled was their patsy coalition partners the Lib Dems.  Out of Eu should not mean off shore, but then again the Irish, Dutch and Luxembourg (by Junker) have made an industry out of it, particularly the Irish.  When that EU ignored nonsense started you knew it could only end in a race to the bottom of corporate taxation rate, and as you rightly say how do you fill that taxation rate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf