Author Topic: EU Vote Result - we're out!!  (Read 13826 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: EU Vote Result - we're out!!
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2016, 09:57:12 AM »
When does Britain get the bullet?
OK the majority have voted that the UK should shoot itself in the foot, so when do we pull the trigger? I hear Outists, busily fighting about which of them shall gain the Tory crown, saying that there is no hurry, no need to make an application under Article 50 even in this calendar year. For how long are we going drag this thing out?

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2016, 11:18:38 AM »
Well so far the world has not come to end for the UK, or indeed Europe.  So only the most disgruntled would begrudge the UK time to get its political ducks in a row to best take forward the wishes of the UK people.  Only a matter of weeks then we will be in a better place to start the process.

Although I rather suspect that with Chilcot Report out tomorrow that we may well see the  Brexit discussions move into second place in the media and amongst the chattering and political classes.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »
Although I rather suspect that with Chilcot Report out tomorrow that we may well see the  Brexit discussions move into second place in the media

And rightly so.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2016, 12:33:05 PM »
only the most disgruntled would begrudge the UK time to get its political ducks in a row
Yep, that'll be me. I am extremely disgruntled. I am flaming mad that my pension and savings have lost 11% of their international value in a week and a half and the £ is at a 30 year low against the $ with other currencies following suit. It hasn't hit in the UK yet because it will take a few months to feed through as inflation. Once fuel goes up they'll be a lot of moaning and then everything else will go up with it. But I suppose those in Turkey who are living on UK pensions will notice it straight away when this month's income buys 11% fewer TL.

Mind you, if I am extremely disgruntled, old Junker is spitting blood - and he's the chap with the shotgun we have sail our row of little ducks past. I wonder which Tory will be handed the poisoned chalice to organize that?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2016, 13:18:40 PM »
I was so sad to hear about the lovely 14 year old killed by a Latvian man living in the U.K.  He had spent 7 years in jail in Latvia for murdering his wife.   However, he was allowed into the U.K.
I think this may be more important than temporary losses in pensions.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2016, 13:44:53 PM »

I'm not clear on the point you're trying to make - are you suggesting that folks stop highlighting the fact they've lost money and/or potentially jobs as a result of the referendum?

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2016, 15:03:26 PM »
I was so sad to hear about the lovely 14 year old killed by a Latvian man living in the U.K.  He had spent 7 years in jail in Latvia for murdering his wife.   However, he was allowed into the U.K.

I was sad to hear about the paedophile British teacher, Simon Harris, who'd been abusing kids in Africa for years and the paedophile British teacher, Richard Huckle, who'd been abusing babies and young children in Malaysia.

But, today the value of my assets and current and future pensions ARE more important to me.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2016, 15:04:19 PM »
Jacqui - I have never taken issue with you on any of your posts.

Indeed, I have benefited from your consumer advice immensely - for that, thank you.

Of course, there are issues of far greater importance than an individual's personal pension matters and these should be raised accordingly.

However, this should not be at the expense of doing away with matters that affect us as individuals.

You have given advice and guidance on many topics.

In the big scheme of things, how important are they?

I don't want you to stop posting on these topics (and I'm sure many people think the same) just because there are more serious things going on in the world......

Some time ago you advised me well on buying leather goods in Turkey - I would have been unhappy if another poster had criticised you for such trivial correspondence because of a tsunami, hurricane, drought, war, etc. somewhere else in the world.

Colwyn's post is valid and significant - to him and many others.

Of course, it pales into insignificance compared to loss of life.

I'd hate to see a completely empty "unread posts since your last visit" because there was insufficient gravitas to justify their existence.

Plus - I look forward to Mary's jokes.

Compared to a 14 year old killed by a Latvian murderer - trivial - but I look forward to reading them.

I understand that your post relates to UK immigration matters but there's a big world out there with a lot of bad things going on.

What's life without whimsy?

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2016, 15:36:48 PM »
Sort of retraction of last posting - I see we're in the debating chamber.

The wrong place to talk of whimsy.

I jumped in a bit quick there.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2016, 15:43:47 PM »
Colwyn your right that Junker is one bitter and twisted personage, and if the Brexit was not enough kissing in his chips, it looks like he is the gun-sights of Merkle and a number of the other EU leaders.  Firstly, because of the high handed and arrogant manner in which he handled the UK referendum.  And secondly he is very likely to be replaced very soon, as he is not the sort of person any reasonable politician wants to negotiate the Brexit on behalf of the EU or indeed the individual member states.  Mind you he will probably be compensated handsomely for his fall, or as we London working class lads like to call it...the ol' Spanish Archer.

Now I have had some dodgy, indeed flakey, old data and statistics thrown at me in my life, but is the international value of pensions and savings - whatever that is? - the best you can throw at me to do down the Brexit?  What impact does this new index - can I describe it thus? - have on your real day to day life.  I think you are probably better off referring back to dear old Harold Wilson, when he said that the fall/devaluation of the pound will not have an effect on the 'pound in your pocket, or purse' ....  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf