Author Topic: half empty plane :-(  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Sleuth

half empty plane :-(
« on: September 11, 2016, 06:45:44 AM »
Our son and his girlfriend flew over here last night from Birmingham Airport in a half empty plane :-( Unheard of before for early September.... sadly I forsee a very early end to the season, already, locally I have heard of a few places closing at the end of September :-(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: half empty plane :-(
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 11:12:36 AM »
Looking at flights now, no even reasonable prices for the next couple of weeks.  We are looking at just under £700.00 flight only, then we have to drive to Glasgow or Edinburgh, so petrol money and then we have to leave the car somewhere for a month, so total is going to be around £1.000 just to fly over to Turkey. 
This is totally ridiculous.  Flights are half empty but the travel companies are still charging top money for a flight. One company is £54 to go over and £229.00 to return, this is without any other extras.
Thomson's are the only company flying from Aberdeen. They have flights, but, they will only let us book 7 days or 14 days return.  We wanted to come out for a month.  Also, we did think of just booking a flight out with them.  No good, they will not do a one way ticket.  Yet, the girls in our Thomson's Travel Bureau tell us that their bookings for Turkey are 50% down and their customers do not want to visit Turkey.  I find their booking policy madness.

Offline peat

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 15:05:48 PM »
£300+ to get from Aberdeen to the central belt and leave your vehicle for a month????
I think you are being seen off - anyway, why not get the bus for free?

Offline Ally B

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 15:26:19 PM »
Jacqui there seems to be flights from Glasgow to Dalaman leaving on 21st Sept returning 26 Oct for £206.00 .Thats on Travel Rebublic.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 16:02:14 PM »
It cost my husband £463 ONE WAY from Dalaman to Manchester on Monarch for a flight for 30th August.

No hold luggage, no meals but he did have an extra legroom seat.

I have just booked to return on my daughter's Thomas Cook (urgh) flight for the end of October. One way to Manchester from Dalaman. 1 measly 20kg suitcase £25, 1 extra legroom seat £20. Total ONE WAY £258.

Resentful just about covers it  >:(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 18:32:36 PM »
£300+ to get from Aberdeen to the central belt and leave your vehicle for a month????
I think you are being seen off - anyway, why not get the bus for free?

First of all we are 25 miles the other side of Aberdeen so first would have to get in, then have to get a second bus and possibly a third one to the Airport.  Also if flights arrive back in the early hours of the morning. No buses then. 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 18:38:56 PM »
We are flying from Manchester, £150 each return (hold baggage extra). More than happy with that :D

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 18:59:31 PM »
Makes me grateful for the bargain we have, flying out next week  hotel B&B, Flight, luggage, chosen seat on the aircraft, £631 and I still have the cheek to complain 8)

(from the size 26 black bin bag tied with tinsel  [/size] )

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 19:07:16 PM »
Who u flying with scunner?
Have to get kids back for uni on or around 10th October,  at these prices might be easier to get a return..err are you allowed to return  on a ticket you didn't use to get In?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 19:09:51 PM »
Jet2

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf