Author Topic: Van from U.K. To Ovacik  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Lgarn1

• Newly Registered
Van from U.K. To Ovacik
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:51:45 AM »
Hi I am new to this so forgive me if it's in completely wrong place ! We have a house in Ovacik and want to take approx half a van of furniture over before next season. Is anyone thinking of doing the same or driving over empty that we can pay to share van space with ?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Van from U.K. To Ovacik
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
There's a fella called Jim Smith who lives in Dobrich, Bulgaria. He runs a business using large vans collecting and delivering between the UK, Bulgaria and Turkey.

He's a member of the Fethiye Area Ex Pat Zone on Facebook and he's got quite a good reputation for the quality of his services. If you join that group and contact him, I'm sure he'll be able to give you some useful advice.

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 13:32:45 PM »
Be careful. My neighbour sent a van load supposedly to England fro Calis last June. It cost her about£500 as he charged on weight. She has never received it. Apparently it has been abandoned somewhere in Instanbul. Dont think it was this guy as dont think he was english but he did come recommended and had been reliable in the past. So now she is out of pocket by £500 and has lost all her personal things. She has moved back to England due to ill health and was only taking things that were really special to her.Upsetting!!!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 14:35:00 PM »
Where abouts do you live Saga Louts?

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 16:38:14 PM »
We have a holiday home not far from Sunday market. Ourfriend had lived on our complex for over 12 years loosing her husband about 4 years ago. This incident has taken the shine off what has been a very happy part of her life. I know there were a couple of other people duped by the van man. One was sending back 2 very expensive bikes.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 16:57:58 PM »
There IS  another fella who offers the same service. He's a Black Country / Brummie lad by the name of Steve Cargill. He also lives in Bulgaria. I've no hesitation in telling you to have absolutely nothing to do with him. He's a crook. I've worked with him in a previous life and I also know he worked for a while for Jim Smith and shafted him, and a couple of his customers.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 17:08:43 PM »
A salutary lesson and one not to be forgotten when sending stuff to or from the UK.

Very rarely are these "man and a van" operations properly insured and even if your household insurance covers possessions in transit, any claim made is unlikely to be successful as you'll be missing the paperwork your insurer will want to see in respect of the carrier.

I know they're always cheaper than "proper" companies, but they're cheaper for good reason and none of them of any benefit to you, their client.  They rarely have an office or fixed base, picking up work via Facebook etc and the only contact is usually email or a mobile number.  Soon as there is an issue, where do you go?

In my opinion, its work the extra few bob to have peace of mind that your stuff is going to appear at the other end, intact, undamaged and in the same condition that it was when it left.  If there is a loss or damage, you stand a decent chance of at least being compensated for your losses.

JF

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »
Reading the above tales of woe makes me wonder if the same crook is still running his underhand business in Fethiye? Keith will know exactly who I mean, our paths crossed back in 2012 when he tried to con me but I was 1 step too clever for him!

Offline lissa

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 15:41:57 PM »
Stefan? I know lots of people had trouble with him. Quoted one price then supposedly customs or what ever stopped him enroute so more money payable. This happened to two of my friends.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 10:06:11 AM »
Libra, you could try persuading your neighbours to use these.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf