Author Topic: Two Day Shopping Spree!  (Read 4516 times)

Offline HappyMonday

« on: August 20, 2005, 19:12:54 PM »
Hi all

I introduced my family and self back in July.  In mid-October we arrive in Turkey and want to go through the process of furnishing our three bed apartment in Tasyaka.

The plan is to buy everything in just a couple of days.  Can anyone suggest the best shops to go to in order to do this?  I have visited a few in the past and was told by my agent:
- Erin spot might be cheap but not the best place to buy
- Watch out for price lists - they go up when Brits arrive in shops!

Suggestions?

Doug

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Two Day Shopping Spree!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 19:18:38 PM »
hi  i bought the majority of my goods from bekir at erin spot and i have lots of comments from friends and neighbours on how lovely the house decor and furnishings are.bekir did not put his prices up for us.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Two Day Shopping Spree!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 19:44:39 PM »
Yep,I back this up, never had a problem with Bekir at Eren Spot. Bought all of our electrical items from there

Milliyon (is that how you spell it) is also good for general crockery/glasses etc

Steve

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 20:00:56 PM »
Thanks Redding43 and Puma for this advice.  Will definitely visit both of these locations.

Doug

Offline smudge

• Calis, TR
Two Day Shopping Spree!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 20:04:00 PM »
Perhaps your agent plans to take you to where he will get some commision, we have known Bekir (erin spot) for years and furnished quite a few properties with him and can assure you all get the same deal, he works on very low profit margins so everyone goes to him for a good deal even the Turks (who pay the same as us Brits). He is one of the few Turkish Businessmen that have figured out that stack'em high, sell'em cheap really does work. We have crossed the road to find the same goods at more than twice the price and no deals, but that shop pays good commision to agents, also always empty.
And do watch out for price lists, in some shops there will be Mrrp for Brits who are all well known as being extremly rich and the normal price list for locals.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 10:35:14 AM »
Thanks Smudge - really good advice here.  Any other key shops to visit?  I have heard it is also worthwhile buying a safe and hotel type keycard system for airconditioning (we will be renting out partially during the year). Any suggestions?

Doug

Offline doll

Two Day Shopping Spree!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 11:15:03 AM »
you will be able to buy the safe from erin spot
2 x 2 was about £80 they will deliver and take upstairs as they are very heavy
i too can recomend erin spot for electrials goods.

Offline doll

Two Day Shopping Spree!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 11:17:44 AM »
hm
migros are sellin aircon units prices very good and will install them for 70 ytl
even turkish people are buying them from there
hope it helps

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Two Day Shopping Spree!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 13:08:09 PM »
The two big supermarkets, Migros and Gimma are worth a look. Migros often has 'specials' on even 'two for one' aircon units at times. We got our's there and they are great little units.

Also bought a nice stand fan from there last month and it was only about £12.00. Electicals can be good buys but watch out for the cheap 'shove' make as it does not have a good reputation. We've had two dvd players of that make and both have packed in after a short while. The second is still getting 'repaired'.

We didn't use erin spot but it does come very well reccomended.

Have a great shopping expedition! I'm sure you will get most things bought and delivered inside your time frame.

Stoop:D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 13:19:32 PM by stoop »

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 19:42:31 PM »
Thanks Doll and Stoop (hope nothing too Freudian in names chosen!) this is great advice for us.  By the way - is there one Erin Spot shop or several?  I'm sure I visited one near the harbour but someone else on the Forum mentioned that there was another one at the Market.  Which is the best to visit?

Doug

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf