Author Topic: Martin McGuinness  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Martin McGuinness
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 09:30:01 AM »
Correct

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 14:39:32 PM »
He was responsible for the deaths of many Irish people of all religions, he had no regard for who he killed.
He knew Paul Maxwell a 15 year old Irish boy, would be on Mountbatten's boat, but he still ordered it to be blown up. He knew innocent men women and chlidren would be shopping in Warrington but he had no worries about killing them.   
He was was a gunman and a vicious killer, who turned to be a peacemaker when it was convenient for him to get out of the IRA when the going was good.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 15:06:56 PM »
From what I've read, and heard, in the media over the past couple of days there seems to almost be a witch-hunt in relation to McGuinness and his conversion from terrorist to law abiding politician. 

I'm not suggesting that the facts bandied about surrounding it are incorrect - I have no idea what went on in those days in NI & the ROI - but a bit of me says why wait till now, when he's dead?

If I'm honest, I find a lot of what's being said by some ex ministers and politicians a bit hypocritical.  The British government probably has as much "blood on its hands" in relation to the troubles in NI as any one individual from the other side.  Unfortunately, due to censorship and the official secrets act it'll be a generation or so before anyone finds out what really went on in those dark days.

JF

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 15:52:35 PM »
I don't think its so much of a witch hunt , his death has just made old news, new news again.

Mcguinness and Addams were terrorists and murderers, I don't care if they became politicians or catholic priests afterwards it does not wipe clean the horrific things they did against humanity and the evil acts they endorsed.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 16:10:06 PM »
From what I've read, and heard, in the media over the past couple of days there seems to almost be a witch-hunt in relation to McGuinness and his conversion from terrorist to law abiding politician. 

I'm not suggesting that the facts bandied about surrounding it are incorrect - I have no idea what went on in those days in NI & the ROI - but a bit of me says why wait till now, when he's dead?

If I'm honest, I find a lot of what's being said by some ex ministers and politicians a bit hypocritical.  The British government probably has as much "blood on its hands" in relation to the troubles in NI as any one individual from the other side.  Unfortunately, due to censorship and the official secrets act it'll be a generation or so before anyone finds out what really went on in those dark days.

JF

I think some of us with Irish family who visited from when they were children and through the troubles do know what went on...  I am one of those with Catholic and Protestant relatives in N.Ireland and my husband had two friends in the Police Force and I had an Uncle, all stationed in Belfast.   My Mother in Law worked as a Civil Servant at Stormont.   Some people who lived during the troubles in N. Ireland do not need to wait for information to be released.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 16:25:15 PM »
As someone who has lived for 54 years in West Belfast  I shall just say I find some of the postings " inaccurate/bemusing"

There are many responsible for murder and mayhem here including those in and out of uniform, those opposing the imposed rule and those within it

Certainly it's a bit daft to lay everything at one mans or indeed one sides door

The bizarre Tebbit story about MMG wanting to retire from the IRA to save himself from prosecution is simply silly- then again from a reactionary dinosaur who counted Mandela too as a terrorist, what should we expect.

Put simply in our bitter troubles there were no good guys with paramilitaries on all sides, state killers and associates all guilty of the most heinous crimes.

My own community suffered as much as any other and much of that was from legalised terror

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 16:38:35 PM »
Martin McGuinness was proud of his involvement with the IRA, Sinn Fein and his involvement in the peace process. Thoughts and prayers with his widow Bernie,his children and of course all the victims of the war in Ireland from both sides.The IRA was not the only terrorist group during the troubles and many suffered.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 16:48:48 PM »
I agree

What it can be difficult for some who did not live through it is context.

I will not rerun the whole history but suffice to say because of the extreme situ at the time some did indeed make the choice to join up to fight the oppressive regime or indeed at that time to defend their areas.

I make no judgement on that as each person is ultimately responsible for their own choices and actions in life. I would however suggest that given the situation, especially at the height of our troubles  many may have chosen the same path.

I am minded of Paddy Ashdown, ex MP and British Army officer who said had he and his community been in the same position he may well have chosen a similar path.

This in no way excuses any actions by any side, legal or otherwise it does however put in context how some went down that particular route

Finally I would say it speaks volumes that many many of those directly affected by the violence including like Tebbit-the daughter of a Brighton Bomb victim have been the most vocal in recognising MMGs efforts to reach out and try to bring a semblance of normality to this bitterly divided part of our country.

In this area last night thousands of people men women children stood at vigils recognising the efforts of MMG as well as his faults. I can assure you we do not all count ourselves as terrorists or scum

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 18:46:27 PM »
I don't see many of you as terrorists or scum, Catholic, Protestant - means nothing to me. Nearly everyone I meet in (or from) Northern Ireland are anything but - religion doesn't come into it for me.

Religion doesn't come into it when it comes to murderers either - they are all scum.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 19:59:31 PM »
I will not get into that one Scunner re who's murderers who's not, good guys ,, bad guys one mans terrorist " etc etc

There will be 1000s  of us at MMGs funeral tomorrow paying our respects to his and others  efforts to bring us away from ALL hatred and division regardless of many people's  past and  who is/was to blame.as looking to the future is now what really counts

We can all point fingers-but we are tired of it

Takes a lot more to reach out

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf