Author Topic: Wonder what this will mean  (Read 10710 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Wonder what this will mean
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 17:11:18 PM »
Booking.com has 15,000 properties in Turkey on its books.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 17:12:23 PM »
Means you wont be able to use booking.com in Turkey, but fine outside Turkey.  That's about it as it stands.

It's still happily taking bookings for Turkish hotels etc.

Petted lip action by Tursab.

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 17:16:16 PM »

Offline George Warner

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
Maybe not so bad,when booking hotels for a trip within Turkey two weeks ago got fed up when every advert led back to Booking.com seemed as though they had a monopoly.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 10:30:40 AM »
I think it is often better to get in touch with the Hotel yourself, often works out cheaper.  We tend to do this nowadays.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:59:22 AM »
Maybe not so bad,when booking hotels for a trip within Turkey two weeks ago got fed up when every advert led back to Booking.com seemed as though they had a monopoly.

They don't have a monopoly but they are the biggest and own a lot of travel & leisure oriented sites.  Priceline (the company's original site), Kayak, Opentable, rentalcar.com, Agoda are some of the better known ones but there is a complex network of minor brands and sites that all ultimately lead back to booking.com.

Expedia is another company with lots of different brands - Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Trivago, CheapTickets and eBookers plus a whole range of lesser known brands and sites.

Basically, the online booking market is controlled by two companies - the only other serious competitor is possibly Opodo which is owned by a consortium of airlines but it appears to perform as well as the airlines themselves, i.e. poorly!

JF

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 13:01:45 PM »
I didn't have a clue about the "duopoly" - I've used Hotels.com for ages without knowing about the Expedia involvement.

Do all Expedia or Booking. com subsidiaries compete price wise and offer identical  awards or bonuses e.g. "book for 10 nights and get one free"?

Being lazy here - I should research it myself......

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 13:58:05 PM »
A few years ago we booked an Hotel in Amsterdam, where we had stayed before.  We booked with Booking.com.
When we arrived we had a small room at the back of the Hotel that was dark and gloomy and had a view of a brick wall.  We went to Reception and complained and they showed to a front room with a view, when we returned to reception  they looked us up on their computer and found we had stayed there before and offered us a suite with a big discount, it was lovely and we decided to take it.  They told us to always ring or email them and not go through an agency as they would always give us a good deal.
This also happened to us in Icmeler, the Hotel Manager told us next time to contact the Hotel directly. 
I think this is a good idea, as you can speak to the Hotel and discuss the room you would like.  ;)

Offline George Warner

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 16:59:32 PM »
Thanks for the info John,do you know if there are any Turkish based booking companies?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf