Author Topic: Turkish But Not Turkey: Epilogue  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Turkish But Not Turkey: Epilogue
« on: June 23, 2017, 17:42:18 PM »
When I titled the fist post in the travelogue "Prologue", shortly after arriving in North Cyprus, I knew I would want to call the last one "Epilogue" but I had no idea what this would be. Well, something forced itself on me.

Silver Restaurant

When we first stayed in North Cyprus in 2002 we were at a holiday where the owner was a regular mystery. So we often escaped over the coastal rocks to the next door restaurant - the Silver. We spent quite a bit of time there chatting with owner and the cook {the cook taught me the delight of drinking raki with fish}. Here we all are. [Hilary wants you to know that the strange appearance of her hair is a trick of the flash light. She does not now, nor has she ever had, a strange crowning glory like that falsely depicted].

In 2017 I noticed on a map that something called the Silver Restaurant was still there. So one night we set off to find it. Sure enough it was there -just where we left it! We didn't recognize the chap who came to take our order but we showed him the photo above anyway. "That's my dad!". So we met up again. The cook had died since 2002 - apparently he had been too fond of his raki - but the rest of us had our photo taken again.

When you are so used to restaurants changing hands, being renamed, or being closed down every year or so, it really is quite reassuring to find one place that has the same name, is in the same place and is owned and run by the same family. Cheers!

Offline marina

Re: Turkish But Not Turkey: Epilogue
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 17:58:08 PM »
Great story Colwyn. Have really enjoyed your travelogue. The photos are lovely!   :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 18:23:43 PM »
Thanks Marina. When you start something like this you are never really sure whether anyone will be interested or whether people will say "OH no! Somebody showing off their holiday snaps, How boring!". You just have to write and hope. Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 18:47:28 PM »
Keep at it, Colwyn.

Thoroughly enjoying your posts.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 22:57:06 PM »
Love it Colwyn - a great set of posts (including the one that contributed to Hilary's afro  ;) )

Offline davybill

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 08:23:42 AM »
Great photos Colwyn, keep them coming.

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »
great photos

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 15:46:30 PM »
I enjoy reading about other people's experiences. The photos add to it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf