Author Topic: best places to furnish villa?  (Read 8412 times)

Offline brijen

best places to furnish villa?
« on: January 07, 2004, 15:36:18 PM »
Hi, :)

We are going over in April to furnish our 3 bed villa.:D
Will a week be enough to buy most things?
We also want to put in air conditioning.
Names of shops and an idea of prices would be a great help.
Are we better of buying everything over there, bedlinen small bits and bobs or are somethings cheaper to take with us.
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Jen[:X]

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 13:55:24 PM »
Hi Jen
If you look at buying property in Calis & the one following you'll find plenty of info on shops etc.
I suppose we should all put the best shops on here as it'll save quite a bit of reading.
1 week should be plenty - you can do most of your shopping in 1 place - Erun Spot - electricals, furniture - you name it they have it.
We started at 1pm & came home with everything at 4pm. Ours was pretty well furnished though to start with. BUT ask anyone who has dealt with them & they'll tell you that you can get 90% of the stuff you need - at a really good price from Erun Spot. - I just copied the list of what we got & prices below
The air conditioning 4 X 9000BTU were £220 each fitted from Erun Spot in Fethiye 184 Ataturk Caddesi - Bekir speaks pretty good English. Also from Eren Spot we got the 2 bedsettees & 2 chairs (also bed)for 650MTL, we also bought bedside cabinets for 30MTL each and an emergency light - which goes on when you lose power (which happened a few times during thunder & lightening storms when we were there) for about 40MTL. Erun Spot is also supposed to be pretty good for all furnishings. Luckily we already had beds, wardrobes, washing machines, cookers, fridges, tables & chairs as the places we bought were furnished.

Erun Spot is above the Mosque on the lower road. When the bus goes out of Fethiye towards Calis it turns right & then goes left on the top road where all the furniture, carpet shops are. You come to a sort of V in the road on the LHS where there is a shop which is on the V where they have everything outside & sell crockery, plastics, cookware etc. - walk the other side of the shop & Erun Spot is about 5 shops up - full of electrical things in the front, fridges, cookers etc. Other side you'll see some bedroom furniture - Ask to go out the back where furniture is piled sky high.
It looks small from the front but you won't believe how much they cram in. It's worse than any dolmus. How they get it all to stay up there I don't know.
You certainly won't pay showroom prices. They'll even get it down for you to sit on it - if you can find a vacant spot, mine was on top of the small stairs LOL.

The carpets were from a double fronted shop on the top road about half way up to the V in the road on the RHS as you come out by bus. Shop around a few of the carpet shops & you'll soon discover which one it was.

The bedding shop was behind the Fish Market in Fethiye called Sumer .....? It doesn't look like a fabric shop from the front, more like a clothing store. The fabric is way in the back. There are other fabric stores around there also.
We picked up a 2nd hand vacuum cleaner for 40MTL from the village on the top road into Calis almost opposite police station. Not the best but it'll do till we find a better one - we were quickly running out of time at that stage.
Went to Migros & got tablecloths & welcome mats - to scrub off the mud. Their TV's were pretty cheap as were DVD systems.
Plastics - bins, storage etc. we got from Calis market.

One thing maybe I should emphasise - some agents take a mighty cut (up to 50%)(Scunner said 100%+ has been known) if you buy though them (Heidi & Cenk told us some horrendous tales of some of the rip off agents). Luckily we met this pair who were only too happy to tell us of all the best deals to ensure we didn't get ripped off. Do yourselves a favour & do your own legwork - you'll be surprised at what you can save. I know some of you have purchased through other agents - just check up on the prices BEFORE you buy anything through your trusted agent.

Good luck
Linda & Carl

Offline CMC

• Baildon, Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 18:42:55 PM »
Hi Jen, welcome to the site, we furnished our villa in Oct right from scratch within 2 days. It looks as though we went down the same road as Linda & Carl,Erun spot for all furniture beds, wardrobes, bedside cabs, table & chairs, garden furniture, 3 piece suite, fridge etc,etc.
It was delivered a few hours later. Ariston man came to plumb in the washing machine same day. All household bits from the market. bedding from a shop on the top road in Fethiye,TV from Migros.
We just found 2 things more expensive 1. cutlery, especially knives.
2.bed linen, v. little choice compared to here.I would recommend you take these with you.
Good luck, Christine

Offline brijen

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 14:51:26 PM »
Cheers, Linda and Carl and Christine,

The information you posted is very helpful and interesting.

Like you say we are cautious of going with the guy who we are buying from, he says it's all part of the service , but we thought the same he seems to want his cut. Especially as we asked him what price for air conditioning whilst we were there last year and he told us £400-
£700 depending on the quality which we thought was a bit steep seeing as we need 5 units.

Do you know or have a contact number for the spot shop or any other shop. website for any maybe? :-\

How have you found owning property in Turkey?

Do you live there or is it a holiday home?

Everything has gone smoothly for us up to now and it was a very straight forward buying process. When we came home and told everyone what we had done, even though we told them we were going out there to probably buy a property.  they were all horrified and thought we were taking a great risk "why didn,t you buy in spain it would be so much easier" was just one of the comments. None of my family have ever been to Turkey before and we can't wait to take them this year and show them what they are missing.

Thanks for your time and help, Jen:D

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 17:02:24 PM »
It will certainly be cheaper for you to do your own shopping spot shop is cheap for most things but we found other little shops very similar to this along many of the Fethiye side roads.

Its all part of the fun doing it yourselves, dont forget there is also Migros and Gima which are good for Electrical goods

Ron

Offline Harley

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 19:27:12 PM »
I don't think we should generalise....  Not all agents are out to rip you off...

Before returning back to the U.K my agent HEIDI took us to a bathroom place to get a quote for some bathroom suits...  After pointing out to her partner MUKO the ones we liked, he approach one of the many sales rep for a price...  

In the meantime from the other end of the shop another sales rep approached us who spoke quite good english, so again we asked for the price on the exactly same ones and guess what.... It was the same...  Moral of the story... not all agents are out to make a quick buck

However i do agree that buying your own furniture can be fun...  That's one part of the job i'm actually looking forward too...

Harley

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 08:48:22 AM »
Harley
We used the same agents. LOL  - Luckily both of us got ones that didn't try & rip you off, however many of the other agents will try & up their commission by putting up to 100% on prices of furniture/air conditioning etc.
Not all agents are the same - some are just in it for the money. However they are being extremely short sighted because when purchasers start to talk - on this forum or sitting down maybe at Annas Bar. Prices for different items through different agents are bound to be talked about. If your agent has doubled the prices would you recommend them to a friend? I know I wouldn't!
Linda

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 20:36:31 PM »
Here is a little tip when buying tiles,

In Turkey there are 3 qualities of tiles A1, A2,A3 A1 is best quality then a2 is what we would call second quality a very slight imperfection which more often than not you cannot see but the difference in price is around 50% cheaper some thing to take into consideration when buying tiles (wall/floor) a3 is last quality but if you were tiling out of sight a great deal can be saved this way

Ron

Offline cenk

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 06:22:11 AM »
Hi
I advice to buy white goods and A/C directly from the main distributors or Migros otherwise you may have problem in future if you need service.

Offline brijen

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 18:01:42 PM »
Thanks for that Cenk will keep it in mind.

What should we expect to pay for air conditioning Cenk? I'd like the one that blows warm air for the winter as well.:D Jen

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf