Author Topic: Counterfeit /Non Bioequivalent Drugs  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Dippey

Counterfeit /Non Bioequivalent Drugs
« on: September 23, 2006, 09:52:35 AM »
After a recent unpleasant experience over the last two weeks I will not be buying my prescribed drugs ever again in Turkey. I will continue to go through the hassle and extra cost of repeat prescriptions from the UK.

Being on many drugs for most of my life owing to having an genetic disorder i need lots of drugs and need to be careful, there are four kinds of drug "sorts"

Good ones
Original brand names.
Bio Equivalent common in UK/US.

Bad ones
Non-Bioequivalent, similar. missing ingredients or wrong mixture quantities, prevalent in L.America and Turkey.
Counterfeit. totally deceptive and non regulated.

I went to a Chemist in Fethiye and handed over my packets for replacements, I had been there previously but then they did not have them, he said he would get them. He got them.

Subsequently I felt uneasy, did not realise why, I went to the hospital to find out (taking all my drugs with me as they always ask what i'm on (i wonder myself sometimes!). I explained my symptoms - really really bad headaches, boiling blood pressure (which is common with me), anxiety, short temper, loss of apertite, cramps in legs so painful in morning I scream out and generally knackered.

His analysis was pretty quick and nothing to do with examining me!, the hospital doctor was writing down my drugs from the boxes when he picked one up and waved it at me and asked where I got it from. He said it was counterfeit, how did he know???? Apparantly, it didn't have a impreganted price stamp on it.

He took down the details and said he would report it accordingly. Me, just drink loads of water and flush it out, and no charge he was quite apologetic, but was not his fault. To name and shame the chemist, I would but i'm not that brave to take on counterfeiting gangs the authorities can deal with it, you just be wary out there.

Dippz
(back to normal 8))

Story removed as I only put it in to calm myself down and get my sense of humour back, i can't do serious too much.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 10:36:29 AM by Dippey »

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 12:17:59 PM »
Dipps - how awful for you, must have been very worrying - hope you are soon back to normal.  Just goes to show that you have to be so careful, wouldn't have thought something like that could happen from a so called reliable source.  
Take care of yourself  Janet

Offline Dippey

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 12:43:18 PM »
Thanks Janet, they did offer to keep me in and do tests and tests and tests for any side effects. I've had enough of biopsies on all my organs and tubes stuffed everywhere, the NHS took four years to come to a conclusion, the Esnaf would have kittens with the results, I'll be shipped of to a lab somewhere and god knows what the medical bill would be!  8)

Dippz

Offline doll

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 13:23:32 PM »
glad your ok now dipps
you are a walking miracle

Offline doll

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 13:24:56 PM »
and i love the new spell checker
doll

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 14:19:11 PM »
Alison, hope you are now back to "normal"?? Big huggies see you soon.
 Gordy.

Offline lindi

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 14:51:35 PM »
Glad to hear you're OK Dippey.

Offline teresa321

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 07:30:50 AM »
I am pleased you are ok and sorry for the experience.  It is a worrying aspect to consider.

teresa

Offline Dippey

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 10:17:28 AM »
Forgot to mention, the packet should also have the impregnated serial codes/batch numbers.

my nails are growing back and my hubby has a smile on his face again. ;)

Dippz

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 15:51:14 PM »
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with medication. It was of interest to me as we are planning to come to live in Turkey - eventually. My husband is on daily medication following a mild heart attack 3 years ago and I will require B12 injections and possibly other medication (when they find out what's wrong with me). How do you get your repeat prescriptions from the UK? I assume you live in Turkey permanently.

Also, is it possible to actually register with a doctor in Turkey so that someone knows your medical history when/if you are unwell.

Any info you can give on this would be very welcome.

Glad you are now feeling better. Glo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf