Author Topic: A builder named Nedim  (Read 8784 times)

Offline Brandi

A builder named Nedim
« on: December 06, 2007, 17:43:50 PM »
Hi - I'm not sure I'm allowed to do this, and if so, if this is the right place to do it anyway.  Moderators be kind to me please!
We were recommended a builder to re-roof our property. He did the job October 2006. As the property is not used during the winter it was not until May 2007 that the property was lived in again. Unfortunately the roof was still leaking although you could see nice new tiles on the roof. It seems he forgot to put any felt or similar material under the tiles !!.  His name is Nedim but I don't know his last name. He is used by an estate agent in Calis, where we got the referal from.  I have been trying since last May to get the builder to come back and look again at the roof but without any success. Have phoned and text him. Have phoned text and emailed the agent.  If anyone can help in any way I would be extremely grateful.  We paid an awful lot of money to get the job done and although I know 'well this is Turkey' I would hate to have to pay it all out again to get another builder to do the job again.  Any ideas anyone? I wouldn't ask if I wasn't absolutely desperate.
thanks.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
A builder named Nedim
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 17:54:18 PM »
Who was the agent that recommended him?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
A builder named Nedim
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 17:54:30 PM »
It's unusual for builders to put felt under rooftiles in Turkey unless you specifically ask them to. They usually just lay the tiles onto wooden shuttering. Unless you told him that you wanted the roof felting and re-tiling, he wouldn't know any different.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
A builder named Nedim
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 18:07:38 PM »
if that is the case KKOB, why doesnt the builder or the Agent explain to them instead of ignoring them...........?

Offline Brandi

A builder named Nedim
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 18:11:36 PM »
Thanks KKOB - it's possibly a communication fault then. Never thought to tell a builder how to do a job! I probably assumed felting always went under tiles otherwise the rain gets in between the tiles!! I have obviously thinking about this in a British way and not in a Turkish way. I presume wooden shuttering are just old planks of wood laid down first!  perhaps they've moved and that's why the rain is coming in.

Tinks - don't know that I should name and shame. The agent has in the past been very good and helpful but since recommending this builder seems to want nothing else to do with us!

thanks for your quick responses -

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
A builder named Nedim
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 19:28:48 PM »
I know Nedim, although not actually done anything with him - he does have a pretty good reputation to be honest.

Offline dizzy dora

A builder named Nedim
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 19:34:03 PM »
This sounds so familiar, the estate agents get your money as does the builder then when you have problems they do not return your calls or e-mails and you only get certain things solved when you are out there.
talk about patience and diplomacy when you feel like screaming at them.
As a widow and out there, no Turkish work man is safe, once on the complex he does not leave until he has helped me, get my telly working, as my Turkish phone, my washer, hot water and cleanliness of the pool.
So far they have been great.
Regards
sue

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
A builder named Nedim
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 19:40:59 PM »
is he English because he was recommended by an English couple but his prices were ridiculous and we got the job well done and cheaper elsewhere
he hangs out at the nil bar if it is the same fella

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
A builder named Nedim
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 19:42:45 PM »
He speaks pretty decent English, he is Turkish though  :)

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
A builder named Nedim
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 23:27:13 PM »
If it is the Nedim - who is Turkish & hangs out at Nils. We have had quite a fair bit of work done by him. He's been excellent & reasonable. Yes, we did get other quotes! Not heard anyone else say any different. On the contrary, everyone we know who he's done work for have been very pleased.

The only problem with Nedim is he has so many satisfied customers buying him drinks at the Nil that sometimes he can't get away & he turns up late for his appointment with you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf