Author Topic: Mugla??? how to get there??  (Read 2429 times)

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Mugla??? how to get there??
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 16:29:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by davewalsh

We drove there. Took all day to get there and back but we did divert to a nice (but windy) seaside resort at the bottom of the hill that takes you up to the town - can't remember the name of the place, my map is at the apartment. The older part of town is interesting to walk around, the modern part less so. No tourists and Turkish prices and hospitality that we no longer get (except for isolated pockets) in the Fethiye area. As you leave the town and come down the hill the views across the bay are fantastic. Very big covered market, I got a shave and a haircut for 7 lira, against the 21 lira the robbing scum in Hisaronu try to charge.

The  village you describe is Akyaka/Gokova.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 19:02:51 PM »
There is a very pleasant hamam in Mugla, built in 1344 - see www.ehamam.com.

Offline davewalsh

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 19:24:23 PM »
That's the one, very nice beach, good for kids and good kite/wind surfing. There was a council run campsite and caravan site there along with some good quality accommodation. The village has a component on the hill and the bit at the bottom on the flat

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 19:40:36 PM »
Let us know what it was like Sunlover, I'm always on the look out for new and interesting places to visit.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 19:47:20 PM »
Most of the buildings in Akyaka are built in the Ula Mugla style, unique to the area and very easy on the eye,
A lovely part of  Turkey.

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 10:31:11 AM »
Get a coach from Fethye coach station,all big firms go there 4 or 5 times a day and the coaches are very comfortable.Takes about 3 hours and very cheap.

Offline kentish maid

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 20:08:17 PM »
Must add my tuppence worth!  Akyaka must be one of the loveliest seaside places we've visited in Turkey so far!  Called in enroute to the Bodrum peninsular (!) and it was Bayram in October and full of Turkish people with their families.  Apart from a few Dutch people, we were the only 'tourists' and it was so tranquil and friendly.  Beautiful hotel with cabins and a park open to anyone right on the edge of the sea.  Very reasonable prices in the numerous restaurants and cafes too.  A must see place!

Offline sunlover

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 08:43:50 AM »
Thanks all for your advice and information, we will take it all into consideration and decide how and if we get there nearer the time, the problem is there is so much to see and do in Turkey when we are there and just not enough time!!!!

May have to think about retiring out there!!! but have a few years left as yet...

Sunlover

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf