Author Topic: Where is Ataturk?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Where is Ataturk?
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:46:42 AM »
In every town and village in Turkey I have visited there is a statue of Ataturk. In seaside resorts this usually, but not always, stands in a prime place where the main road reaches the sea front, with his back to the sea. Where is Ataturk in Calis?

Offline philrose

Where is Ataturk?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:12:21 AM »
Think you'll find Calis is not a town or village in it's own right but a district of Fethiye so wouldn't necessarily have it's own statue

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Where is Ataturk?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:23:51 AM »
Yes Phil, but villages that are all part of one belediye may each have their own statue. It is a matter of local pride. And, until a few years ago, Calis was clearly a separate entity to Fethiye and Gunlukbache. But do I take it from your answer that Calis has no statue?

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Where is Ataturk?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:29:43 AM »
That is interesting, Colwyn
My grandson aged 6 showed me his YTL notes and he asked me who is this man on every note. I tried to explain and told him that in Turkey every shop and business has his picture on dispaly and thought nothing more of it. Later in the week we went to Megri in Fethiye to have a meal and towards the end he asked the waiter very authoritively to show him the picture of Ataturk as he could not see it. Somewhat embarrassed the waiter could not show him one on display and so took him to some other nearby stores to see if they had one on display for him to see. It was not until we went to the 3rd store (a tailors) that one was on display.
The next day in Calis he showed a store keeper his money but not to buy something but to ask about Ataturk. The store keeper face was a picture. He wasn't going to let go of his money as he just wanted an answer.
The shop keeper went on to tell him about Ataturk saying he changed the language people spoke, looked after women, run the country, was a war hero and was a great man - more great than Tony Blair or George Bush and that he died young. My grandsone appeared a bit non plussed so the store keeper said Ataturk was a hero like Robinh Hood and Spiderman - then it all clicked and my grandson understood his greatness. It was a lovely interlude to be part of and made me realise just how much my grandson likes Turkey because he is interested in it. In the same way his sister once said on a Dolmus that Turkey must be a very safe place because the young school children walk home from school without their parents.
This is why I feel that taking kids abroad in school time is no bad thing but that is another topic!

Offline kismetbar

Where is Ataturk?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:14:58 AM »
A lovely story Twin Bee. Has put a smile on my face!!

Offline philrose

Where is Ataturk?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »
None that I know of.
Not even sure if Günlükbasi has one.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Where is Ataturk?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:15:17 PM »
Yes, that's a lovely story and puts things into perspective.  They learn when they are interested.

I'd like to know if Attaturk always points in the same direction.  I mean the statues where he is pointing.  -Is there any significance to the 'point'.

Offline marina

Where is Ataturk?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 14:33:50 PM »
Indeed it's a lovely story and for me typical of the Turkish people to go out of their way to tell stories of their country.  If you look up Ataturk in Wikipedia it shows just how great he was for Turkey and why he's held in such great esteem.  Also, if you enjoy reading you may be interested in the book 'Birds Without Wings' by Louis de Berniere.  It's a fascinating story of the declining years of the Ottoman Empire and there are many references to the area around Fethiye.  

Was never a great lover of history until I first came to Turkey, but what you see around you in Turkey I find amazing.

Offline kismetbar

Where is Ataturk?
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 16:04:37 PM »
I think Ataturk was way ahead of his time. He'd make a great modern-day leader. It was a slur on Ataturk that got youtube barred in Turkey I believe. We met an elderly American lady who was asked to dance for Ataturk back God knows when. Her stories were fascinating and she said he really was a lovely man. Sadly, she passed away recently but hopefully her stories will go to print soon. We hope so.
I've been reading a book about the decline of the Ottoman Empire, and if it hadn't been for Ataturk, modern-day Turkey would have been the size of Istanbul but he held out against the Americans, Brits etc. Good on him! He left a great legacy!

Offline jackstee

Where is Ataturk?
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 18:22:36 PM »
Hi all
The "Point" is forward to develope.

Steve

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf