Author Topic: UK state pension?  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Linda1953

UK state pension?
« on: July 23, 2004, 15:13:10 PM »
:DI don't really want to think this far ahead but what is the score on this with regard to moving and living abroad.:P I heard something some time back that the government has stopped or is stopping pensioners who choose to move abroad or live abroad from claiming their state pensions in the UK even though they have paid their contributions all their lives.

Not that I have any intention of claiming mine lol! I won't be here in the UK hopefully.

I'm completely ignorant about this probably becasue I'm too bone idle to look at it properly.  I was just wondering?

Linda 8)

Offline Patty

• Poster
UK state pension?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 15:32:39 PM »
No you can still get your state pension paid abroad. You cannot get any benefits paid abroad.

Patty

Offline Peter

UK state pension?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 16:10:02 PM »
As far as I am aware a UK state pension can be transferred gross to a Turkish bank account, and Turkey has reciprocal agreements with the UK for National Insurance. Quite how far these go I do not know.

Offline teresa321

UK state pension?
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 17:29:09 PM »
You can definitely get your pension paid, I recently sent for my forecast for my state pension if I went to live in Turkey when I reach 50 - no problem (except they cannot guarantee the processing date at your end etc etc)

Teresa

Offline Linda1953

UK state pension?
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 19:24:43 PM »
Teresa how did you send for your forecast for your state pension? As I'm 51 and hope to be here within the next 12 months permanently then I will need to do this to?

Offline teresa321

UK state pension?
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 21:13:08 PM »
http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/resource_centre/downloads_interactive.asp#br19

I filled in a form on the website (you have to post it though) and told them I was going to turkey etc. They told me how many qualifying years I had, how many I would be short (4) for a full pension, how much to buy those years etc.

Lots of information and the forecast was quite quick in delivery as well.

Teresa

Offline Linda1953

UK state pension?
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 21:51:39 PM »
Wow Fantastic - Thank you so much Teresa I wouldn't have know how to go about that :-)))

Offline Patty

• Poster
UK state pension?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 08:30:05 AM »
I don't know the age for the females on this site, but if you were working and paying the "half stamp" thats when you'll come unstuck as regards getting a full pension.

Patty

Offline teresa321

UK state pension?
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 08:54:07 AM »
I paid full stamp all my life Patty - but a forecast will still tell you what you will get.  I have fallen foul of the 60-65 law and will not get mine until I am 65 now.  Although the way thing are going I might not get it till I am 70 - and the Govt hopes I die before then.

On my soap box now - this is apparently MY FAULT because I have not prepared for my old age and saved enough - not theirs for moving the goalposts after I made my life plan 30 years ago.  It is too late now.

I shall now go and lie down in a darkened room for a while.

Teresa X

Offline tintin

UK state pension?
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 10:45:56 AM »
Teresa

Have found the pension website really usefull, as I've also started looking into my pension rights in preparation for my move to Calis, although sadly I also fall foul of the 60-65 law.

This is obviously our fault for being too young, can't say it's made me want to work till I'm 65, infact it hasn't changed my mind at all, still determined to be living in Calis within 2 years

Tina

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf