Author Topic: what is calis all about  (Read 4798 times)

Offline jwood

• Nottingham, UK
what is calis all about
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 09:22:15 AM »
If we wanted Marmaris we'd be IN Marmaris !

Offline KayteeLouise

what is calis all about
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 09:30:52 AM »
Lynne from what i know Scarletts stil have breakdaning etc
not sure on what night though!
Calis is a litle bit more quieter this year.
Dont think the resturants stay open much past 1 do they
But just round the corner b52 and Scarlett will be open to late hours in the morning  :)

Offline lmaddy

what is calis all about
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »
It really is quite simple Jinky - just don't come to Calis if you don't like it.

Offline Jenny

what is calis all about
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:47:13 PM »
Calis front seemed much busier to me this year. Loads of people walking along the front and the bars were all busy. There does seem to be a lot less 'unplanned' entertainment now, the entertainment seems to be bought in, like the break dancers and salsa dancers. Theres a lot less setting the bar on fire and dancing on the bar, etc. I think the bar men are all growing up! Bus Stop was really lively when I was there, they know how to have a good laugh.

I'm glad Calis isn't like Marmaris or Hisaronu - I don't think I would want to stay in those places, just visit for a night out.

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
what is calis all about
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 15:58:36 PM »
Sorry Jenny, they aint grown up in scarlett, they're always setting the bar alight, and the break dancers and salsa dancers are on every wednesday and saturday, and it's always full, waiters, bar staff and even owners of other bars make their way there when their own places close early. Alan

Offline ronzeus

what is calis all about
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 16:20:20 PM »
Steady on folks ,Jinky has lived round the area for quite some time and is one of the good guys.Hoops is his brother ,who was  the first and best owner of the Shamrock is another guenuine guy .There point is that when things get a little quieter later on ,too many places are closing early.A very valid point.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
what is calis all about
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 16:44:01 PM »
I suspect Jinky is Scottish as he says "The back of 1" which means after 1.00am in the morning.  I am not surprised the restaurants where closing then, there cannot be a lot of folk wanting to each at that time.  I know when my son and his fiance where over last year, we stayed out with them until after midnight, but left them too if after that, and they seemed to find plenty of places to go until about 3.00am in the morning.  I know they liked the Bus Stop bar which seems to stay open quite late.  Calis is not Marmaris, but each to his own, we love Calis the way it is.
Jacqui.

Offline Jenny

what is calis all about
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 17:04:36 PM »
Alan, I wasn't saying it is a bad thing theyre growing up, they must get bored themselves of doing the same thing year in year out. I was just saying the type of entertainment has changed, and not for the worst by any means. And I know Scarlett is always full and full of staff from other places because i'm often there myself when i'm in Calis.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
what is calis all about
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 17:09:23 PM »
I actually thought this not so long back, sitting in Bambu we were impressed by the crowds promenading. We left around half past midnight, and every single restaurant from Bambu to the bridge turn was empty and closed. I've not seen that before.

The bars from the bridge to the dolphin roundabout all seemed to have a fair crowd, so maybe it shifts off the prom once people have eaten?

Obviously Calis is different to Marmaris and the like - we like the fact that it seems to attract mainly young families and more 'senior' couples, but often this means no raving till 4am. Unless you are out with Moe and Kenny of course  ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
what is calis all about
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 17:10:04 PM »
If it's 1am then why would a restaurant remain open? Surely everyone has eaten by then.

There are plenty of bars away from the promenade that open late.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf