Author Topic: Car rental advice request  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Gristle

Car rental advice request
« on: March 29, 2010, 17:47:16 PM »
I am visiting (first time) at the end of May. The owner/manager of the apartment we are renting has offered a pick up from Dalaman airport and drop off at the end of the holiday for 30 euros each trip. My question is whether it would be wiser to take advantage of that offer and hire a car for 12 days locally from Calis Beach/Fethiye or just hire a car from the airport for 14 days ??? I am not too concerned about a saving of a few £££s - I am more concerned about availability and quality/reliability of the vehicle. All help gratefully received. Ta.

Offline PKHUGHES100

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
Is the 30 Euros per car or per person, typical cost of transfers around this time of year are usually between £60-£70 per car but is changing quite a bit because of the increasing price of fuel!
In terms of a hire car, if you go to a reputable company, and there are lots of them, (just search function here on the forum for tips), you will pay £25 ish per day so the choice is yours. Part of the fun of visiting Turkey is to get out and about so a car gives you that freedom but the public transport is also great, cheap and is part of the experience.
Good luck
Kevin

Offline kevin b

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:02:36 AM »
If you are paying apartment owner to pick you up this is illegal & you could get stopped at security & have a long walk to terminal if you get stopped & say you have paid for transfer,also you will probably not be covered for insurance in event of accident.
Return transfers can be had from £60 return depending on number of people.

Offline PKHUGHES100

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:37:04 AM »
Another good point to consider.

K

Offline Janice1971

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »
We were out in March and we hired a Renault from Pandora Cars based at Dalaman, a week cost us £77.00 we were really impressed with them, we have 2 really young kids and they supplied brand new car seats, the whole thing was a really positive experience and they were there on time at collection and when we departed, the car was really nice and clean too, who highly recommend then.

Offline Gristle

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
Thanks everyone, that's very helpful - especially the warning from kevin b! My better half has pointed out the owner/manager actually said he would 'arrange' transport but I think I will play it safe and pick up a hire car from the airport!

Offline TimS

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 16:11:59 PM »
Turtas. I collect from Fethiye (anywhere) and drop in Antalya (anywhere) if i wanted. I have a property in Antalya and split my time in Turkey between Antalya and Fethiye (to avoid getting bored in one place!) I hasve the liberty to hire a car (they all are brand spanking new btw) in either cities and travel to all places on the coast in between and drop the car back where ever I happen to end up...FREEDOM! which is rather cool...In fact I have hired a car for two weeks on more than occasion but ended up travelling around for much longer than that! settled the extra weeks on my return with no problems...very pleased with their services...speak with Gengiz (cengiz in turkish)..tell them that I have sent you :-)...ta)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 16:20:21 PM by TimS »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf