Author Topic: Build My Own Villa Or Buy Ready-Built?  (Read 3637 times)

Offline louisa

Build My Own Villa Or Buy Ready-Built?
« on: January 29, 2011, 19:16:50 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I know the Fethiye area very well, especially Oludeniz, Kayakoy, Hisaronu, Ovacik, Fethiye Town, Calis and Uzumlu.  

A few years ago I saw a lovely villa I really liked in Uzumlu, but lovely as Uzumlu is, I'm not sure I would want to live there.  I've also seen lots of villas in Ovacik (all very samey, really) and a few in Calis.

All of the locations have upsides and downsides (to my mind, anyway) and though I'm not that keen on Calis, I would like somewhere with a sea-view.  The villa I saw in Uzumlu was almost perfect, except the pool was rather small and there was little garden area.

What I would really like is a villa the same or similar to the one I saw in Uzumlu (I still have the pictures somewhere), but with a larger pool and garden area, and with a sea-view. I'd also like to be away from any noise, but not too far from local shops etc.

Does anyone know of any 3+ bed villas with sea-view, and that is not on a complex? Oh, and I would really like to have a spacious modern kitchen with light-coloured units (I hate those brown-edged kitchens they seem so fond of in Turkey) and I don't want an open-plan lounge/kitchen.  I don't mind an open-plan kitchen/diner, but I'd want a separate lounge, spacious, and with a fireplace.  I'd also like to have very large windows - I'm looking for something that's light and lets the sun in.

I realise I'd probably have to compromise somewhere along the line, but that is my ideal.

Without finding what I want, what are the chances of finding land and having a villa built to my requirements? Oh, and land aside, what ballpark figure would it cost to build a 3-bed villa with pool?

Many thanks in advance

Louisa :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 19:24:44 PM »
The problem with sea view land is that there isn't much of it and in general most of it has been developed. If you do find land you need a builder who will deliver exactly what you asked for (not easy) and also not go bust half way through. You would need around 500m2 of prime sea view land, and a builder who can literally build your dream - so not the builder with the cheapest quote - he'll quite possibly turn your dream to a nightmare. For the land and a decent quality property you won't be looking at a project costing less than 200k, possibly more depending on what you hope for. Good luck, if you need a recommendation for a builder, and builders to avoid, I'll tell you (but not on here).

Offline louisa

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 20:26:03 PM »
Thank you for that information, Scunner.  Out of interest would you happen to know of any good agents to buy land through?

Louisa

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 20:30:15 PM »
I am an agent so I really should recommend me :D

I can't comment on anyone else, just make sure you do your research - there are good agents and not so good  :)

Offline louisa

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 21:01:00 PM »
Hi Scunner,

Do you have a website or any links to land for sale?  Or even any villas that you think might tick most of my boxes?

Thanks again!

Louisa

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 21:01:50 PM »
I'll email you, people will get irritated if we continue to talk business on here  ;)

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 22:46:45 PM »
We too had a list of must haves and found it hard to find what we were looking for (As Scunner knows....) But we have recently found our dream villa, it has everything that we wanted - well nearly, exactly where we wanted it- well nearly, at a good price - well near enough, but it took us 4 years of searching, not only did we look at every local agents shops and websites, and viewed virtually hundreds of properties, but we also toured the areas we fancied every visit to check on any "for sale" signs.
We did consider buying land - but as Scunner mentioned there are a lot of pitfalls, delays and its a big gamble, so gave that idea a miss.
Like with most things in life we had to compromise a bit, but our searching paid off, I hope you are as lucky.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 23:15:29 PM »
The other problem with building is that single properties on single plots don't make much sense financially - 500m2 with a sea glimpse/view won't be cheap but rather than build a nice villa on it, a builder can build a set of four apartments with pool quite comfortably on a 500m2 plot - two (3 bedroom) duplexes with sea view will get about 90k each in Calis, the ground floor two apartments will easily go for 55k. This route nets the builder 290k - nobody will pay 290k for one villa on the same plot in Calis.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf