Author Topic: chest infection/antibiotics  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
chest infection/antibiotics
« on: March 18, 2011, 18:53:24 PM »
Has anyone been treated in Turkey for a bad chest infection if so what antibiotics have you had please? Amoxcillin do not work for me, my other half got some in Turkey last year as he was wheezing and coughing and they worked well I think they were in a red box but cannot recall the name. many thanks for any advice.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 19:31:35 PM »
Be careful about buying antibiotics over the counter from any pharmacist in Fethiye. A friend was unwell with a chest infection and bought the antibiotics her pharmacist advised. The dosage was way to high and she suffered liver damage from being overdosed, it has taken a long while for her to recover.

Offline posleeds

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 20:15:44 PM »
If Amoxycillin doesn't work - go back to see your GP - who should prescribe an alternative IF needed.

After a bout of pneumonia some years ago I suffered from a chest infection every time I got a cold.  Was reading an in-flight magazine & saw an advert for a "Salt Pipe" - www.thesaltpipe.co.uk

It's used like an inhaler - probably have had mine about 4 years now & haven't had one chest infection since - BRILLIANT. Costs about the same as 4 NHS prescription charges & lasts 5 years.

My brother who is asthmatic swears by it too  :)

Offline sunnyd

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 20:36:02 PM »
As Daffodil said, you do need to be careful about buying antibiotics over the counter, as they aren't personally prescribed.
If you have a prescription from the UK, take it to a chemist here,(the best is opposite the new Migros (old Tansas, Gima in Fethiye) they will try to find the equivalent.
I have a history of chest infections, the tablets that I take are 1000mg. I won't give the name.
The best place to ask for any medicine is the chemist opposite the new Migros in town, he is a fountain of knowledge, and very trustworthy.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 20:40:47 PM »
thanks everyone for the advice I am just really fed up now with it I have just finished another course today not amocxicillin I have also had sinisitus and fed up with not being able to taste or smell properly, I will have a look at the salt pipe I will try anything, yes I agree the pharamicist opposite Migros is fantastic, thanks again.

Offline thebillet

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 21:51:24 PM »
I can vouch for the chemist opposite Migros, he always charges me less than the price on the box when buying tablets and inhalers.

Offline Angelic

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 18:33:44 PM »
i bought a Salt Pipe a couple of weeks ago as i have asthma and am forever getting chest infectons.
Have been using it twice a day for about 20 mins and already feel better.

Offline posleeds

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 18:46:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Angelic

i bought a Salt Pipe a couple of weeks ago as i have asthma and am forever getting chest infectons.
Have been using it twice a day for about 20 mins and already feel better.

Glad to hear it works for you too  :)
I bet you have been the butt of many a joke-I was  :-\
I only use mine occasionally now - if I feel a bit "chesty".
"Au natural" must be far better than taking /inhaling drugs & steroids!

Offline Angelic

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 19:00:20 PM »
Yes Posleeds have had the micky taken out of me, good job my backs broad.Hoping to get off inhalers as soon as poss.

Offline marina

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 20:25:20 PM »
Thanks for the information about the salt pipe. I've had asthma for years now, have inhalers and daily steroids.  Will try anything to reduce them.  Have just read up on the salt pipe and looks like it would be worth giving it a go.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf