Author Topic: Excess baggage with TC  (Read 5017 times)

Offline Chinook

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 08:52:58 AM »
When I returned to Turkey from Manchester in April I was 2 kg over with TC. The check in lady said "I am supposed to ask you to open your case and  to remove 2 kg or pay excess, but all you will do is take out a coat and put it on so the plane weight is the same so I'll put it through" and she did.Suppose being a quiet Sunday evening with no queues may have had something to do with this refreshing practical and sensible approach.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:53:54 AM by Chinook »

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Excess baggage with TC
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 09:00:49 AM »
Our check in at Dalaman on 5th May was really held up as T.C stood over the check in desk and watched as bags were weighed. Lots of people had to satnd aside, take stuff out of their cases and then pushed back in again for another trial weigh in. Our hand luggage was weighed too to ensure we were not over the 5kg allowance. Very strict check in now with T.C
:D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Excess baggage with TC
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »
At last, some logic.

I remember checking in with Thomas Cook (although the flight was JMC then) at Stansted for a flight to Dalaman. The kids were just about 12 months old. Most people can probably imagine what you need to take onboard with twin babies for a four hour flight - two made up bottles of milk each, change of clothes for both and all the rest. We had a changing bag with all those things in.

I was surprised to be told to put the changing bag on the scales which I did. It was 8kg. The girl said this was not permitted as the hand luggage weight limit was 5kg. No problem here - I told her I had no hand baggage at all so we were actually 2kg under. She said that it was still not permitted to have an 8kg bag. We had been into Boots or somewhere and quite literally opened the changing bag, took out the Boots carrier bag, transferred about half of it into the Boots bag (holding up the entire queue at check in) and presented both to the girl. She asked that we put them on the belt one at a time and we had one at 5kg and one at 3kg. She said 'fine' and printed off our boarding passes. We then put the Boots bag of things back in the changing bag, right in front of her, took the boarding cards and left, everyone now happy.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Excess baggage with TC
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 10:04:09 AM »
I know of a certain CBF member - no names, but check out photos of Father Christmas at the last 2 Christmas Fairs - who travels with a jacket with one of the pocket linings open. Apparently he can get 11 small tins of ham through into the hem of the jacket!

Offline littlereddevil

Excess baggage with TC
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 18:13:15 PM »
We went out 22nd April and back 8th May and no-one was charged or hand baggage weighed. There is no rhyme nor reason to them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf