Author Topic: Back pain.  (Read 4013 times)

Offline scouser2

Back pain.
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:54:50 AM »
Hi All.
My wife's back has been painful for a few days.We think the reason for her pain is that she had the fan on in the living room and it was pointing directly on her back. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can reccommend some pain relief?
Thanks in anticipation.
Chris.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Back pain.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:18:52 AM »
Back problems can be caused by so many things and although you can take pain killers to mask the pain it's best not to self diagnose but to go and get medical advice, your wife could have anything from a slipped disc to disc wear or even sciatica.  In some cases the longer you wait the more the condition could be aggravated.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
Back pain.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:39:46 AM »
we use ibuprofen available cheap at the chemist, watch what strength they give you we I have 400mg 1 taken 4 times a day they help with any inflamation as well.
Mark

Offline scouser2

Back pain.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:48:33 AM »
Many thanks for your help Mark. I will pick some up later.
Jacqui, I dont think it is anything serious, as she hasn't had any falls etc. Her symptoms started after using the fan. (she won't do that again).But  thanks for the advice.

Offline micky mouse

Back pain.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:29:36 PM »
Try CoCodamol 30/500mg I use these all the time for my back as i have degenerate lumber spine with spinal stenosis,its the only tablet that gives some relief to back pain problems.

Offline cinders

Back pain.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 13:20:17 PM »
Please be careful if using any non-steroidal analgelsia i.e.
Ibuprofen/diclofenac etc as this can have a bad  effect on the kidneys. Perhaps use of heat pack/or anti-inflammatory gel(not taken with ibuprofen (both non-steroidal) and paracetamol*

Mark  
quote:
ibuprofen available cheap at the chemist, watch what strength they give you we I have 400mg 1 taken 4 times a day they help with any inflamation as well.
the dose seems rather high and could be harmful if used long term.  One way is to combine say 1gm *paracetamol*  (if not allergic) with 200mgs Ibuprofen perhaps three times a day (again for short period only) (not meant to offend only to help)
[8)] C
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 13:24:40 PM by cinders »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Back pain.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 13:25:06 PM »
I had a bad back for a week or so before coming to Turkey on holiday the year before last. I could hardly walk after sitting down for a short while. The doctor here gave me some tablets and they did nothing. As a last chance we went to see the legendary pharmacist opposite Gima/Carrefour/Migros. He gave me pain killers and anti inflammatory pills (and a glass of water - I was that desperate to rid myself of the pain). As we left I remember saying that they wouldn't help. 30 minutes later I was cured! Seriously 100% bad back free.

I know there wasn't much of a diagnosis, and that the remedy most probably worked by masking the pain but that was of no interest to me at that time - and the pain never returned after the pills were all used. That pharmacist should be given a medal, I've heard so many stories of his helpfulness and knowledge.

Offline Brianbern

Back pain.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 15:27:15 PM »
A T.E.N.S. Machine is very useful for a variety of areas. They are relatively inexpensive nowadays and very portable. We always pack it in the suitcase for coming on holiday--I don't know if they are readily available in Turkey.

Offline Julesp

Back pain.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 22:29:14 PM »
Anti Inflammatry drugs, pain relief drugs and lots of stretching and walking as far as she can without pushing it too far

Its very easy to get in the cycle of it hurts so I cant move so everything seizes up and your back muscles go into a bigger spasm Its a big vicious circle

Rest Pain relief and gentle exercise is the key

I have had a bad back for years and had a big op on it 20 years ago so now know what to do as soon as pain starts

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Back pain.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 23:00:43 PM »
I get neck pain that is down to leaving car window open and getting draft.  Pain relief and a microwave heat pad help.  So out there  lying in the sun might be a good cure.
Or can you buy heat pads??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf