Author Topic: Spurs v Cheltenham Town 3rd round match  (Read 804 times)

Offline Sleuth

Spurs v Cheltenham Town 3rd round match
« on: January 10, 2012, 15:15:55 PM »
I am in Turkey now :-)  but the day before we flew  I was at White Hart Lane watching my local team Cheltenham Town FC  whom I support and watch whilst in the UK ( very much in contension for a automatic promotion from div 2  theis season ) play Spurs !!!!                Of course we lost :-) 3-0 .... they had 8 international players in their line up and that was without Bale. Modric, and Van de Vart playing !!!!  :-)  Spurs out played us... but we tried to play `football` against them and didnt try to `kick` em off the park as that ain`t our style :-)  The day out at a top premiership ground and a full house !!!  and terrific atmosphere was what we 5.000 Cheltenham supporters were looking for and we got that !! :-)   To hear the spurs fans singing  " oh whennn the spurssssssssss  go marching innnnn "  was magic to us . I last visited WHL  45 years ago when the brilliant Jimmy Greaves and the scottish Alan Gilzean ( the G MEN ) graced the park.... what memories  :-)  and what a fab day it was last saturday,  thanks to the guys who pulled that fixture `out of the hat` last December :-)

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 19:10:33 PM »
Glad to hear you had a great day out Sleuth,and CTFC give it their best shot.I used to go to WHL with my Dad who was a season ticket holder in the 60s and 70s and in those days a wink and handing over a few bob at the turnstile allowed me to sit between him and his mate.I remember the great times of the 60s and the brilliant Spurs players,the G men,cliff Jones,Danny Blanchflower,and the  Scottish players Dave Mckay (probably the most commited player of the time)John White,Jimmy Robertson,and Alan Gilzean (he scored so many goals with his head)
However I saw the light ;) and followed the Hammers from 15yrs old.

Great memories - Badger

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 20:07:00 PM »
Off sleuth's topic, but Dave MacKay would never, ever have stayed on the park in any game that Chris Foy referreed.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 21:07:53 PM »

H
   George Best quoted "Dave Mckay was the hardest and bravest player I ever played against"

And lets face it there were quite a few hatchet men around at the time

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 21:11:05 PM »
Still off topic (sorry sleuth) but Chopper Harris springs to mind

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 07:53:27 AM »
I was literally only  a few yards away in the ground  when Dave `the tank`McKay grabbed wee Billy Bremner by the scruff of his shirt during a Spurs v Leeds Utd match ( famous photo now  :) ) I was so close in the ground ,to the incident I could have almost reached over and parted em before the ref intervened  :-) I will never forget it ... and the photo of that  incident has been immortalised :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf