Author Topic: Taking Turkish registered car to UK  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Taking Turkish registered car to UK
« on: February 07, 2012, 14:02:49 PM »
We are here for a year then back home for 5 months and then back for 6 months (if all goes to plan).

If we bought a small hatchback new car here - what would be the major obstacles to driving back to the UK in 12 months and using it in the UK and then returning here after 6 months as opposed to parking it up here - could be a great little project for me?

Has anyone done it?

Ps we are due to buy a new small hatchback in the next year or so in the UK but it would serve our purposes better to buy it here.

Offline Eric

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 14:17:02 PM »
All you need is green card insurance to cover you for the time out of Turkey, and the countries you are driving through of course.  We have driven back to the UK twice now, and once to France.  No problems.  You need a 'vignette' for Bulgaria, Austria, Slovenia and Switzerland if your route takes you through any of those countries.  You buy them at the borders.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 14:23:41 PM »
Keep your ferry or Channel Tunnel ticket as proof of the date of entry into the UK. As with Turkey, you are only allowed to keep a foreign registered vehicle in the UK for up to 6 months in any 12. In the unlikely event that you are questioned by the Police the onus is on the driver / owner of the vehicle to provide evidence that the vehicle hasn't overstayed in the UK.

Offline cinders

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 14:24:24 PM »
We had no problems taking our car back to Uk just need green card  (insurance) in case of accidents.   :) C

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 14:59:53 PM »
Great information thank you to all of you.

Do I insure it here (fully comp)and do I have to insure it again in the UK? And finally.......is there a restriction on only be allowed to take it back twice as there is in reverse for bringing a car into Turkey?

Many thanks - fantastic forum  :)  :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 15:15:44 PM »
Your Turkish insurance should be valid in the UK, but check with your broker incase there's a limit on the amount of time that they'll cover you for being abroad. I'm pretty sure that, if you think you need it, you can buy extra insurance in the AA offices at the docks in Dover and at the Channel Tunnel offices in Folkestone.

There's no restriction on the number of times that you can take it into the UK. However, don't be surprised if the UKBA or HMRC show a bit more interest in you and the vehicle at Calais, Dover or Folkestone.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 15:16:40 PM by KKOB »

Offline Eric

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 15:56:25 PM »
Also you will get some attention at all the border crossings,( if you travel through Macedonia, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria route) especially when you drive a Turkish reg car through the 'EU Citizens' lane, until you show your UK passport.  Then you are usually just waved through.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 16:07:54 PM »
That's true. The guard at the Hungarian border pulled a gun on me because I was driving through the "EU Passports" lane. As soon as he saw me waving my UK passport though he put it away, gave me a big smile and waved me through.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf