Author Topic: Good Sportsmanship - I thought it was a thing of the past !!  (Read 1696 times)

Offline valleyboy

Two instances have occurred in recent major sporting events that have restored my faith in the sporting World and indirectly helped to restore my faith in Humanity !.

1) In the Wimbledon men's doubles final Jonathan Marray volun'tarily admitted to touching the net with his racquet, when the umpire and his opponents were totally unaware of the event, it was at a fairly crucial stage of the game and could have had serious negative implications on the result (thankfully not !).

2) On Stage 14 of the TDF some idiot threw tacks onto the road causing Cadel Evans (in 4th position) to have multiple punctures; Bradley Wiggins in his position as "General" of the race (Yellow Shirt holder), called upon the "Peleton" to slow down until Evans' wheels were replaced and caught up with the group.

With the likes of soccer players throwing themselves around the pitch upon the slightest nudge from an opponent,I find this quite a refreshing change in this age of "win at all cost" attitudes to sport,  do you agree, or do you think this attitude is a sign of weakness ???

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Good Sportsmanship - I thought it was a thing of the past !!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:07:02 AM »
With you on this one   :)

If you know you won dishonestly then you know you haven't won at all, what pleasure can there be in that compared to doing the right thing and winning. And if you lose you take it on the chin and know you can hold your head high.

Nothing worse than a bad loser and I loved your description... "with the likes of soccer players throwing themselves around the pitch upon the slightest nudge from an opponent..."

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »
A freshing change definitely.

Who else remembers Roger Taylor v Bjorn Borg, when Taylor gave up a winning match point  ;D

Offline valleyboy

Offline thebillet

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
Makes a change from the usual headlines about professional cycling (or should that be tracklines?). Admirable conduct by both participants, a return to a time of athletic chivalry would certainly be a change for the better but on a general level i don't see it coming any time soon.

Offline buddy

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 23:45:35 PM »
Too uch money involved in most sports now to stop the cheating, and it's worse when the kids see that cheats win most times.

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
Yes the old Human trait of greed does normally form the foundation of these acts !, often together with the individual's Ego !!  :(, another recent event which pleased me was when Andy Murray was interviewed after his Wimbledon Men's Final against Roger Federer, when he  publicly displayed his emotions and by doing so, proved it was acceptable to do so !   :). Sometimes it appears that the interviewers are speaking to "automatons" in these post final interviews. I do realise in these high pressure events that they need to achieve a high degree of mental focus, but sometimes it's nice to see the Human element !, and I agree Buddy it's better for the Kid's to see   :).

It's only a game 'innit ??   ;)  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf