Author Topic: Internet Connections Slow ?  (Read 5097 times)

Offline George Warner

Re: Internet Connections Slow ?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 09:02:24 AM »
Today
  Ping, 381.   Download, 8.78,  Upload, .78 From Izmir server

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 09:32:03 AM »
But we pay for 8mb and never get anywhere near that. Is there no equivalent of Trading Standards ?
Sorry Rimms but it's the same as the UK, you pay for up to 8mb ... an ADSL speed you are very unlikely to get anywhere near, unless you upgrade to Fibrenet, which should be available in most parts of Calis - I've been going round listening to Turk Telecom street cabinets and can hear mux noises which tells me that a number of the cabinets in the area are now served by FTTC or Fibre to the Cabinet, which can give you speeds of UP TO 100mb.  TTNET brand this service under the Fibrenet service.

I'm hoping to upgrade after xmas, as my local box hums nicely!!  Looking at their website what I have noticed is that TTNET are selling under their Fibrenet Brand a 20mb service (with a poor upload speed of up to 1 meg) which is more than a little cheeky as this is a standard (copper not fibre) ADSL service - well it is in the rest of the world anyway!!

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make, with all this fibre network being built and connected in the Calis area (and across Fethiye) the engineers will be taking parts or all of the broadband service down and backup again (and again), all of which disruptes service and also degrades service as it builds back up to maximum speed again for a lot of people, even if their service has already been upgraded.  What I would say is they do not look as if they are doing this in any systematic manner i.e doing the work at 1am on a sunday morning and waiting until you have a group of changes to make all at once, rather than as i suspect they are doing, which is one at a time whenever it suits them to do it!!  Well that's my informed guess anyway.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »
To add to my post above on humming street cabinets.  If you spot a stout looking english gentleman with his ear against a white or grey street cabinet, far from walking by or indeed reporting me for what seems lunatic behaviour, please come over and introduce yourself, I'm always glad to speak to anyone from the Forum.  ;)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Internet Connections Slow ?
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
Be careful, I wouldn't bet all of those metal cabinets have proper earth connection!
They have laid fibre optic cable along Ibraham Gul Cadesii which is two streets away from my house, I just wonder whether they now intend to dig up each of the side roads to lay the cable, especially considering that all of the streets around us are currently dug up laying new drains.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 10:08:05 AM »
A job for next May by the sound of it

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »
Be careful, I wouldn't bet all of those metal cabinets have proper earth connection!
They have laid fibre optic cable along Ibraham Gul Cadesii which is two streets away from my house, I just wonder whether they now intend to dig up each of the side roads to lay the cable, especially considering that all of the streets around us are currently dug up laying new drains.
  You could well be right on the earthing - a shocking experience.  As to digging up and replacing the cable from the cabinet to your house, they have no need to do that, as a FTTC service uses the existing copper cable from the cabinet to your house, which then connect to the fibre at the cabinet and uses it's higher speed and bandwidth back to the exchange, and back into the core network of Turk Telecom.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 13:27:37 PM »
That's brilliant, thanks for that. It's off to Turk Telecom as soon as we get home.

Offline yasyes

• Newly Registered

Offline yasyes

• Newly Registered
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 11:02:10 AM »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »